Drop in combi water pressure - could it NOT be a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there (again)

Just another question.

My combi quite regularly (weekly) needs the water pressure topping up to keep it at 1.5 (after it drops to about 1.1/1.2.)

I suspect a leak but from all the pipes I've been able to access, there is nil to be found.

that of course isn't to say that the inaccessible pipes aren't leaking, but could there be another cause?

thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Expansion vessel could need pressurising. If the pressure is low in the EV, pressure can build up when the system gets hot and force open the pressure relief valve to expel some water. When the system cools again, the pressure will be low. You top up the pressure and the cycle repeats.

Sponsored Links
Im not a qualified expert on this, but I had the same problem with a Chaffeteux boiler and in this case removing the boiler front cover revealed the expanson vessel which had a 'tyre' valve which was used to pump air into the vessel.

Of course you need to know the correct pressure. If your not sure its probably best to get an expert to check and re-pressurise. Shouldn't be too expensive.

At the latter stages of a Twelve Year lifespan, our Geminox condensing boiler’s expansion vessel had to be periodically re-pressurised by carefully using a car tyre foot pump, and the correct readings obtained using a digital pressure gauge. There are of course some necessary procedures to be followed prior to the use of a tyre pump. Eventually a replacement tyre valve and dust cap did the trick.
Ironically our replacement Vaillant ecoMax 622/2 condensing boiler installed in 2004 has recently developed a similar problem. I have checked for any obvious leaks, but found none, and the only anomaly I found , was a very large cold area on the downstairs lounge radiator suggesting an accumulation of sludge was present. I intend to check to see if the pressure relief valve is shedding water.
GH blackpool. I apologise if I appear to have intruded in your posting and burdened you with my own problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back