Dual cooker connection unit question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster. This is a great site with some really helpful posters so I thought I would ask my question here. I have read through other posts but couldn't find a direct answer to my question.

I am wiring my new open plan kitchen (under a Full Plans application with BCO). I have wired my oven (AEG B31015M - 3kW) and hob (AEG 64100KFN - 6.4kW) by running a 6mm² cable from my CU to a 45A double pole cooker isolator switch. I am using a dual cooker connection unit like the one below (manufacturer is Click):

http://www.alertelectrical.com/Wiri...asyfit-Dual-Appliance-Outlet-Plate-PRW217.asp

Can I just confirm that I should use 6mm² on the load side for both the hob and the oven? The oven states that it should be wired in 2.5mm² but I assume this is only the case when run on a separate circuit? The only problem I foresee is that I may struggle to introduce the cables to the cooker terminals.

Many thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Your oven needs to be fused at 13amps.
Did it come with a plug on the end????

I think the best thing for you to do is take 6mm from the dual outlet and into a single unswitched socket. A decent brand like MK should do it. Then put a plug top on your oven cable.

The sparkeys will be along soon to confirm.

Thanks. No, the oven is not supplied with a plug - the manual states it should be wired in 2.5mm² cable.

Perhaps one of the sparkeys could chime in?

thanks again

Does the manual state what fuse to protect the oven with?
If using 2.5 T+E then you will need to connect it to a fused spur.

Connecting 2.5 T+E to the dual point is not a good idea as the maximum rating on 2.5 is 27 amps and your cooker circuit will be fused higher than that in your CU.

Sponsored Links
If no plug on the oven, fit a single cooker outlet plate and an unswitched fused spur next to it. Wire the oven to the fused spur (with 13A fuse) and the hob to the outlet plate.

Thanks. The manual doesn't state the size of fuse to use - only to wire in 2.5 t&e.

If I was to wire it from the dual outlet in 6mm t&e would that be incorrect, dangerous etc?

If so in what instance could you use a dual outlet plate?

Many thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

Thanks. The manual doesn't state the size of fuse to use - only to wire in 2.5 t&e.
1) Click.
2) Find the column for your oven.
3) Scroll down to the row for Fuse rating.

If I was to wire it from the dual outlet in 6mm t&e would that be incorrect, dangerous etc?
Yes - firstly you might find that the terminals aren't designed for 6mm², and secondly the appliance wouldn't be protected by the fuse rating specified by the manufacturer.

If so in what instance could you use a dual outlet plate?
Where you needed two outgoing cables, e.g. one to a hob and one to an FCU for an oven.

Hi Clappers,

I have recently joined this forum and it looks like I have the same problem/question you had more than a year ago.

I have an electric hob and an oven to hard wire into the connection unit. I'm curious to know what solution you adopted. did you use a dual connection plate and wired the 2 items with 6mm2 wires or did you use an unswitched fused spur as some posters suggested?

Thanks in advance for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back