EA Fault Code Worcester Bosch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My boiler has stopped working and displays the code "EA".
I have an engineer coming out tomorrow to service it and my fire (£120), and to look at the problem.

Background:
I had the boiler serviced 11.5 months ago (by a big company) and the engineer told me that the ignitor sparks were corroded. He sanded them off and said that they may need replacing within a year or so.

I opened the condensate trap today and a fair bit of water with a small amount of debris in it came out. After this I reset it and it worked for an hour but the EA code came back. I have not touched it since.

It's about 9 degree so I don't think anything is likely to be frozen.

I had two questions before the engineer visit tomorrow (it's a local independent engineer who had good reviews online).

1. Should I buy the ignitor sparks so he can swap them while he is here?
2. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Some sort of blockage given that the condenser trap seemed full?

I don't want to spend too much if it's unlikely to be fixed (it is 16 years old).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. No I wouldn’t as you may get the wrong ones, he may also have some.
2. Full of what exactly?

Sponsored Links
So the engineer couldn't find a fault. I paid cash for the services (30-40 mins work for fire and boiler). The only advice was that next year it would need a full strip down service for around £150 as "air flow through boiler at 4.9".
I was really surprised that the service was much less in depth the the one I had from big company about 11.5 months ago. That being said, this was an employee of the guy who had all of excellent reviews on Google.

Not sure if I have any right to complain as they did some form of service but didn't find a fault and I'm now left without heating again.

Customers are no position to judge the quality of gas work...it's not like painting and decorating so all these reviews are futile.
There's just no way he could have possibly checked out the boiler in such a limited time...get your money back.
When it comes to EA faults unless you have a very thorough service history of the boiler is is best to carry out a full service to rule out the simple problems.
The service will cost around £80 in parts alone and it's a laborious job. That will solve most EA faults.

30-40 minutes to service both boiler and fire? I'd be seriously concerned that they've not serviced either properly in that time. The boiler alone should take that long

Sounds more like a safety check than a service, poke and go springs to mind

sadly some havent a clue what they are
doing

Me for one being one of them, but I’m learning all the time, and certainly wouldn’t spend 30 - 40 mins servicing a boiler or a fire, it would have to be longer.

Last edited:
Does the boiler 'gurgle' 'bubble' before locking out?

If not then it's probably your electrodes, what boiler isit? 16 years old sounds like a HE?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back