earth wire

galv said:
the previous owner assures me they were fitted by an electrician

How high are the ceilings? I am just thinking, if you have high ceilings (I know houses with 12 foot ceilings) then is there a possibility that a spark fitted metal fittings on the understanding that no-one can reach them? Perhaps one of the professional sparks here could answer this.

I know how hard it is to find cash when you have just bought a place, but if the wiring is earth-free perhaps you should make a rewire Number One priority before anything cosmetic?

Sponsored Links
is it your belief that in all the houses with the old wiring either no one has metal light fittings or everyone fitted there own?.
while you are here could you please answer a query, i have a shop attached to the property which has been rewired.
A 6mm cable has been taken from a 32a mcb on the rcd side of the cu to a 30a junction box in a kitchen then split with 2 6mm,one going to cooker switch which feeds (main oven,small oven with grill) the other 6mm goes to cooker switch on opposite side of kitchen feeding a 4 ring electric hob.
There are no labels indicating wattages, but there is nothing special about the appliances,is this method okay or does it need changing

I have recently discovered that my 1935 3 bedroom house has no earth in the lighting circuit and having read everyone's comment I realise I'll have to get the whole place rewired.

Can anyone give me some idea of how much it's going to cost me?!?! :eek:

Sponsored Links
billysarah said:
Can anyone give me some idea of how much it's going to cost me?!?! :eek:

Get three quotes from local sparks. Yellow pages should have a panel ad listing NICEIC approved contractors, but try your local paper as well (many non-approved sparks are very good indeed). It's hard to give an accurate figure without seeing the job but, typically, I would quote around £1500-2000 for that kind of house here in the West Midlands

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back