Edwardian house gutter replacement - no soffit and no fascia board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ramshackle new to me 1910s ish semi detached house that's kept its wooden gutters for a respectable 110 years. The gutters however are blocked, rotten, and in places about to fall off. Damp has ruined the interior plasterwork. So replacement is definite and imminent.

At the front of the house the gutter sits on what look like wood corbels (that may be the rafter tails prettied up) that sit on some form of fascia board. At the back the gutter sits on I believe are the rafter tails. Some of the supports look fine, others look bad. Found on the window ledge is what I think is one that fell out at the front. Looking at diagrams of guttering set ups the roof always overhangs the wall a fair bit and has room for fascia boards and soffits and similar business. Here the slate ends nearly right at the wall and the gutter similarly hugs it. This is apparently uncommon enough that researching best practices has been difficult.
Complicating this is that the loft currently has condensation issues. Reasons A through X are likely that theres no loft insulation above the bathroom, Y is missing roof slate(s) but Z is possibly that there's no apparent ventilation. Peering down the rafters ends in a brick wall. Looking from the outside I can spot two high ventilation bricks, any others are obscured by the board or gutter. One vent block has been bunged up, possibly during cavity wall insulation. If there is any hidden gap between slate and brick its quite small.

3 gutter guys came. 1st guy said he would put new guttering on the existing supports, as did second. The third said that the noggins looked rotten and would ruin the fall of the gutter and was saying to cut the noggins off and install a fascia board. 1st guy said he could also do this if I wanted and 2nd guy went no contact. On a similar tangent, notable but apparently safe settlement means if the gutters may well be flowing uphill now. Looking at the common use of the term noggin on internet I assume third guy meant rafter tails.

What I'd like to do is do it myself replace the guttering right away straight on the current supports and bring a chisel and some wood shims to adjust the fall as needed. Keep an eye on it and come back with professionals if needed. But due to internal house politics I'm banned from DIYing something so important and I don't want to spend 3k+ on something that needs to be taken down again in a year for another 3k+.

I could do with some guidance of fascia board retrofitting. Fascia salespeople seem to declare them a fundamental necessity but this house has gone 100 years without and only chronic lack of maintenance to the gutters has made it a problem now. Whether a fascia would even do anything on a building not designed to have one is a mystery to me.

Currently in my head it goes
Put gutter on noggin
+Keeps original feature
+Cheaper
-Possible rot in rafter could travel up?
-Compromised supports?

Chop off and add fascia
+No reliance on old features
+Caps rafters behind a PVC barrier
+??
-Ugly
-More money
-Needs a cut out around airbrick (double ugly)
-May block any ventilation that does exist?
-May jet guttering too far out from the wall and end of roof?
-??

Sponsored Links
Pictures for reference

Front of house
1706289293665.jpeg

Front of house w/ neighbour showing their less ornamental supports
1706289334916.jpeg

Front/Side showing lack of overhang. End of gutter having a particularly bad time
1706289782886.jpeg

Looking down the eaves from inside (weirdly the loft is half insulated)
1706289406845.jpeg

Rear (two ventilation bricks by roof on left face)
1706289709715.jpeg

Rear face 1
1706289575481.jpeg

Rear face 2 (not the best photography)
1706289608222.jpeg

Corner of the rear with particularly rotted support and spalled stone lintel. The upper gutter flows onto the roof and onto the lower (grassy) gutter. Lot of damp inside here. Top gutter if getting reversed and having a downspout to avoid this problem area. The better support on lower gutter is more typical of the rear.
1706289447876.jpeg

I would personally stick with your current setup and just repair the gutter supports where required, I doubt they are all rotted and it will just be the odd one.

I assume you are looking at installing Twinplas UPVC gutters as these are a direct replacement for timber gutters?

You could also use the metal brackets to support the gutter and leave the corbel as decoration.

Adding shims under the gutters are a typical solution however I believe a lot of these gutter brackets were originally installed without any fall anyway.

I wouldn’t underestimate the weight of the timber gutter if doing this a DIY job, they could be secured using lead straps into the eves and I would recommend cutting into short length - not a job to do from a ladder

Sponsored Links
Mhm fair point about lowering the existing stuff. I'd always thought raising the new would be the faffy bit on a ladder. With the need for pointing and windows reglazing as well hopefully buying a scaffolding tower will pay for itself here.
My current gut feeling is that DIY or no I'll just get the new stuff plopped on the existing corbels. But then a roofer came by and said it wasn't impossible I'd need a roof so that might all get weirder, or it may be straightforward and expensive.
It's been a toss up between Twinplas or seamless aluminium guttering. As you say Twinplas looks exactly the part. SAG is pretty similar cost wise and seems to have a lot more actual capacity for its size, along with people tooting about its robustness and seamlessness etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back