Electric or Mixer Shower for Electic only flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend and I are looking to install a shower in a 2 bed single storey flat that is electric only with an immersion tank. We are unsure whether to go for an electric or thermostatic mixer shower.

I've read that electric showers have a much poorer flow rate, however, they have the obvious advantage of giving guaranteed continuous hot water.

Does anyone have any experience on either, or advice on which would be better suited for an electric only flat?

Another point to take into account is that we are looking to install a pump on the hot water to increase the pressure at the kitchen. It's a single storey flat, so the layout for pipework is straight along the back wall from the tank, through the bathroom, through to the kitchen sink.

Is it more economical in the long run to heat the water in the immersion tank and use a mixer, or install an electric shower and only heat the hot water for a brief period during Economy 7 to use for washing up etc. All other appliances are cold water fed (washing machine and dishwasher).

Which are more reliable? Mixers or Electric?

If it is better to go for a mixer, then is it worth buying a dual feed pump to give the cold water a boost for the shower too?

Any advice would be much appreciated as being new to all this we're a bit unsure which way to go.

Sponsored Links
I had an electric shower and hate them with a passion you can almost P**s as hard,

Would go with a shower pump and a mira excel. canny beat it!

:LOL:

Even with the modern 10.5 kW jobbies?

My main worry is that the immersion tank will run out of hot water, say if we have people over to stay.

How much water would a mixer use in a typical shower?

What are mixer showers like for reliability and maintenance?

Anything is better than mini baths all the time, but want to make sure that we don't end up changing it after a few months.

Thanks for your help and advice

Sponsored Links
Electric showers are rubbish 6- 7 liters per min in the summer when the incomming water temp is at its best.

If you are going to buy a pump for the kitchen tap then dont buy a twin pump brass ended that will pressurise the whole of the flat.

You should get 2 showers at least for each bath.

the problem with the aqualisa pumped shower is they are expensive and will only work for the shower they are easy to fit but it seems silly if you need more pressure at the kitchen sink not to kill two birds with one rock.( slight exaggeration)

The best bet is to buy a good quality bar type shower valve and a 1.5 bar pump most bar showers are limited to around 10 - 12 liters per min and have a flow control so you can slow the water down when you need more than one shower after another.

try reading again

who mentioned anything about aquilisa pumped shower ?

your going to run a 1.5bar pump off a combination cylinder are you ?

I cannot see where herbienips mentioned a combination cylinder?
I thought you did.

I did think you meant a quartz digital pumped as you mentioned 10 liters per min I cannot see a electric shower giving that performance where does it say that in the Aqualisa pages?

I cannot see where herbienips mentioned a combination cylinder?
I thought you did.

I did think you meant a quartz digital pumped as you mentioned 10 liters per min I cannot see a electric shower giving that performance where does it say that in the Aqualisa pages?

don't need to tell me common sense tells me theirs not 50 gal sitting above the cylinder in a flat.

try looking at the aquilisa quartz electric showers then they can give aprox 16 litre/min. its on on their site.
and the performance is as agood as a quartz digital.
been fitting them now for the last month

don't need to tell me common sense tells me theirs not 50 gal sitting above the cylinder in a flat.

This is a question to ask as there are many flats with 50 gals, so it would be a guess to say that there is a combination cylinder.

try looking at the aquilisa quartz electric showers then they can give aprox 16 litre/min. its on on their site.
From what I read it states can give flow rates upto 15 liters per min it does not mention hot flows so all I can draw from this is that its is sales blurb.

I have not fitted one to say but I can ask a guy I know at Aqualisa.

i don't care what you think or who you ask.

i've been working along side aquilisa guys when these first came out and we where asked to give them ago.
so if you would like to argue that one feel free.
if your mains pressure is low yes you will only get what your mains will give.

i don't care what you think or who you ask.
I don't know why you are taking it personally I thought the idea of a forum was to share ideas and get good advice from people that do know.

i've been working along side aquilisa guys when these first came out and we where asked to give them ago.
so if you would like to argue that one feel free.
if your mains pressure is low yes you will only get what your mains will give.
you can have the best mains pressure in the world it will still only heat a maximum volume of hot water based on the kilowattage of the heater and the incomming tempreture of the mains water.:cool: Cheer up[/quote]

I have spoken to aqualisa they say 6- 7 liters per min for the max flow rate in the summer as an approx, they cannot commit to an exact figure.

I have both electric and gravity-fed mixer showers installed. I find the 10.5 kw Mira shower fine to use, but it has nowhere near the water-flow of a gravity-fed one with a good head. SO, if you want a deluge of water do NOT go electric is my advice! Many folk hate leccie showers (hence the "rubbish" statements) but it depends on what you want. I hate having a load of water bouncing off my head/face; I just want water to rinse me off - leccie is fine for that if you get the highest-powered models)

Equally a gravity-fed with little head will only give you a gentle flow...hence a pump's needed.

I've always bought Mira or Triton showers whenever refurbing the latest house purchase & never been unhappy with either brand. The heating can on one Triton lasted 5+ years, (daily use, very hard water area) & on another is still working in its guest bedroom location some 20 years after installation.
Equally a Mira mixer showers 20 years old I refurbished for very little outlay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back