electric outlets (ringmain spur etc) (WITH PICS) please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone well, basically ive changed my mums mobile-home a lil, and hopeing to add socket outlets
i will show pictures of the socket thing im trying to do,soz about all the pics and ill expplain all at the bottom thankyou again (and hope for help :) ) [please please please (hammer) ]

to this

ok well im no sparky builder etc i just like to give things a go and ask for help when needed ~(well its needed)

ok well i think the caravan is on a ringmain ( ill check consumer unit later,lets assume it is for now as i cnt find my tester to test the two live wires on a socket)
anyway on the first spur will be microwave then spured again for tv,games consles etc

will i get away with this?????????

or will i need to go under the caravan and figure a way to carry on the ring circuit (like carry on from the one at the bottom then have my last new socket going to the next socket,meaning needing a lil more 2.5 cable)

thanks

Sponsored Links
You cant have more than one unfused spur off a 30/32amp ring final circuit, which you have.

Your work is part p notifiable, which I doubt you have sorted either.

You have answered your own question - you cannot have more than one spur off a ring final circuit.

Put a 13Amp Fused Connection unit in between the ring final circuit and the first socket and you can run the set up as you have now.

However, you need to support those loose cables either by enclosing them in some form of trunking or conduit or clipping them to the wall.

Furthermore, it looks as if you can get access to the rear of the sockets from the cupboard which is dangerous - you need to either replace them with plastic backboxes or enclosed them in plasterboard.

You could use a FCU then as many sockets as you like. Being a caravan, you need to be careful with bonding and earthing.

Sponsored Links
You can have as many spurs off of a ring final as you have sockets on the ring final , however what you cannot have is a spur off of a spur.

Nick

You have answered your own question - you cannot have more than one spur off a ring final circuit.

Put a 13Amp Fused Connection unit in between the ring final circuit and the first socket and you can run the set up as you have now.

However, you need to support those loose cables either by enclosing them in some form of trunking or conduit or clipping them to the wall.

Furthermore, it looks as if you can get access to the rear of the sockets from the cupboard which is dangerous - you need to either replace them with plastic backboxes or enclosed them in plasterboard.

hi ma8 so just put a fused spur before my first spur and im good to go

ps all the cab;les will be clipped etc (its unfinished)
im a very tidy worker.
ummm usually i would carry on a circuit as ring (like look for close socket get new cable to that add my new sockets then last back to next beginning old socket aka just extending the ring circuit.
im ok with all that i think ?
you see first it was only going to be for a microwave so i did 1 spur then got the idea of a flat screen etc
anyway i have no fused spurs
but i do have alot of 2.5 cable so you think it would be best to go under caravan and make this part of the ring main circuit
(or go buy a fused spur tomorrow as it would make it easier to do)

ps the backs cnt be touched i took out otherside when i fitted new immersion heater, they will be going back
i also realised i could of just used some 2 Gang Dry Liner Back Box Plasterboard, but didnt have any so just knocked up some wood and used the metal backboxes as have alot

Honestly everyone im usually a very tidy worker i just did it slightly bodged this time
thanks though so what you think
fused spur before my first spur or make it part of the ringmain circuit with extra 2.5 cable

You cant have more than one unfused spur off a 30/32amp ring final circuit, which you have.

Your work is part p notifiable, which I doubt you have sorted either.

i know ma8 it was ment to be one at the start then got carried away lol
thought id get away as a light load

ill just add a fused spur i think, as that seems a safe easy option for 2 spurs off of the ring main

Cannot advise you. You are totally nuts. You are assuming too much and the replies are assuming too much
Go back to the beginning and do NOT assume
i think the caravan is on a ringmain ( ill check consumer unit later,lets assume it is for now as i cnt find my tester to test)

because the answers and what you do will be different depending on your answer.

So, do you have a ring final, or a radia??????
What CPD is provided in the circuit you are working on??????

Cannot advise you. You are totally nuts. You are assuming too much and the replies are assuming too much
i think the caravan is on a ringmain ( ill check consumer unit later,lets assume it is for now as i cnt find my tester to test)

because the answers and what you do will be different depending on your answer.

imnot nutz lol
i say a ring because most have to cables in the electric sockets (showing ring) i would test but cnt find my tester, so tomorrow ill take the face of the consumer unit and if i see 2 lives going to a 30amp in the consumer ill know 100% its a ring circuit)

Not sure why you are calling the OP nuts - seems a little OTT?

The answers given would cover either a ring final circuit or a radial - in either case the FCU will restrict load to 13Amps or less when you include the plug fuse - the cable , 2.5mm is more than adequate.

if i see 2 lives going to a 30amp in the consumer ill know 100% its a ring circuit)

No you won't.

Please leave the electrics to someone who knows what they're doing.

what you on about of cause it will

i have done a city & guilds cause years ago just couldnt remember the spur rule so did a post

on a ring you get out a tester take a socket of and if 2 wires (hopefully)
take to both live wires (if beeps hay presto i have a ring circuit)

but as i cnt find it i can look at my consumer unit and see if 2 live wires going to a 30amp fuse if so presto i have ring circuit

im 100% sure on this anyone think different and why?

not trying to make a argument

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back