Electric oven element on when switched off…. Belling 644 electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the switch in the off position, the oven on light was on.

I assumed a faulty switch and I switched cooker off at the wall but with the kitchen switched light off, I could see the cookers oven element glowing orange, although it looked to be cooling down.

With the cooker switched back on at the wall, the moment the cookers clock is pressed to set, the oven’s electric element starts glow orange and within minutes the oven will reach a cooking temperature, although the oven switch on the cooker is in the off position.

Surely, this should never be able to occur ?

Imagine if this had occurred whilst I was out, would the oven just remain on forever or do electric ovens have some kind of safety cut out or is there a risk it could have eventually burst into flames ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’ve not kept it on long enough to see whether temperature regulates.

No doubt some will say, I should always switch the cooker off at the wall, especially when away but it’s something I’ve never done.

Although it looks to be a faulty switch, I would have thought there would be a fail safe of sorts, to ensure this can never occur.

I used to spend days or weekends away and I’d hate for this to occur whilst away.

Not only because of the risk of a fire, if that’s at all possible but imagine the electric cost.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 968EFD09-F406-4A96-B7B9-B16D548A64C8.jpeg
    968EFD09-F406-4A96-B7B9-B16D548A64C8.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 61
  • CA806D48-4019-496F-BA74-3CA926ABDAE3.jpeg
    CA806D48-4019-496F-BA74-3CA926ABDAE3.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 56
  • A55165D6-3ABD-4C94-935E-A79E6CEFA97F.jpeg
    A55165D6-3ABD-4C94-935E-A79E6CEFA97F.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 49
A wild guess, could well be wrong.....

I wonder if the control knob, might not be engaging properly with the the shaft of the control. Perhaps when the knob is pointing to the off position, is not actually off?

A wild guess, could well be wrong.....

I wonder if the control knob, might not be engaging properly with the the shaft of the control. Perhaps when the knob is pointing to the off position, is not actually off?
No, it’s a fan assisted oven, so when the element is on without the knob being rotated to the on position, the elements glows without the fan operating.
When I rotate the knob clockwise to the on position, the fan comes on and will turn off when I rotate the knob to the off position.

Also, I’ve pull the knob off the shaft and it’s in the corresponding position of the flat of the shaft.

I’m confident it’s obviously a fault with the rotary switch but I’m more concerned that such a fault can actually occur, which can turn the oven on at anytime, unless it’s switched off at the wall.

Seems the most likely culprit.

If the oven thermostat is functional it would keep the oven at a regulated temperature.
Judging by the orange glow of the element, which I’ve never noticed when the oven has been in use in the past, I assume the thermostat isn’t functioning either; so it’s either a fault with the thermostat, the rotary switch or both.

Last edited:
Judging by the orange glow of the element, which I’ve never noticed when the oven has been in use in the past, I assume the thermostat isn’t functioning either; so it’s either a fault with the thermostat, the rotary switch or both.

The switch, stat, and temperature setting, will be all one single unit, including the temperature sensor. To be sure, look up the part, on one of the online white goods, parts supplier web sites.

[EDIT] Like this - https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/part...rs-hobs/644 wh/main-oven-thermostat/17716.htm

The centre pic in post #7 shows the thermostat control, not the main oven switch. The oven function selector switch should be used to turn the oven off.
1700827691478.png

Relying on the thermostat control being set to '0' to turn off the oven is not advisable, as thermostats often go faulty with age.
If the element still glows when the oven function selector switch is set to 'off', then that switch is the culprit; if not, then the thermostat is faulty.

The main oven control knob pushes on to a selector switch which brings on the fan and clipped to the back of the selector switch is the thermostat.
The thermostat shaft locates inside the selector switch, two seperate units that act as one.
Your thermostat is faulty, probably welded contacts.
The Belling 644 was in fact made by Creda.

The centre pic in post #7 shows the thermostat control, not the main oven switch. The oven function selector switch should be used to turn the oven off.
View attachment 322397

Relying on the thermostat control being set to '0' to turn off the oven is not advisable, as thermostats often go faulty with age.
If the element still glows when the oven function selector switch is set to 'off', then that switch is the culprit; if not, then the thermostat is faulty.
That’s the only switch/knob for the main oven, when the knob is rotated clockwise it turns on the circulating fan and the oven

Attachments

• 8D6F3D38-402A-4EBE-8997-C7A8A4D4B3C5.png
    8D6F3D38-402A-4EBE-8997-C7A8A4D4B3C5.png
    320.7 KB · Views: 26
The main oven control knob pushes on to a selector switch which brings on the fan and clipped to the back of the selector switch is the thermostat.
The thermostat shaft locates inside the selector switch, two seperate units that act as one.
Your thermostat is faulty, probably welded contacts.
The Belling 644 was in fact made by Creda.
Yeah, that was kind of my thinking but as the fault enables the oven elements to operate when the oven knob is off, it threw me, as I never have expected a fault like that could ever occur, believing they’d be a fail safe of some kind.
My main oven is always empty other than the racks but the top oven I normally leave the grill pan in it, which has a plastic handle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back