Electric oven element on when switched off…. Belling 644 electric cooker

Sponsored Links
Strange. The manual here says otherwise. But that seems to be for the 637, although the link is to the 644 ! So, time for a new thermostat.
Yeah, I kinda knew it was either switch, thermostat or both but I was surprised a fault which could turn on an unattended oven would even be possible, I would have thought they’d be some kind of fail safe

Sponsored Links
The fail safe, is the oven isolator switch, on the wall.
Yeah, I guess so but the way cookers are designed, with the clock and timer, I’m certain the vast majority, if not all, electric cooker owners, don’t turn their cooker off at the wall whenever its not in use.

I guess the wall switch was probably initially implemented to isolate the power supply should a fault of fire occur whilst the cooker is in use or maybe to aid in repair or disconnection.

Although the wall switches tend to be directly adjacent to or behind the cooker, which would be difficult to reach if the cooker was on fire or emitting plumes of smoke.

From now on, my cooker will always be off at the wall switch when not in use.

Currently, within 60 seconds of pressing my ovens clock to set the time, the main oven element glows bright orange, and I would hate that to occur whilst I was asleep or not at home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back