Electric shock from combi boiler radiator pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler (Vokera 28 Compact HE) and I have noticed when the boiler is on the pipes to the radiators become energised causing a small electric shock.

Could this be a faulty pump (no shock when boiler isn't running), or is it likely to be something else

Sponsored Links
Usually metal boiler pipes are well earthed, either directly or indirectly via the boiler boiler and any connected electrical parts like the pump, so it maybe that you are becoming charged up with static electricity which discharges to earth when you touch the radiators. If so, once you have 'discharged' touching the pipes again immediately won't result in a further shock. (For safety sake, I'm not suggesting that you try this, just that you might have noticed it already)

That doesn't explain why it only happens when the pump is running though. Pipes can become live, especially if the system has isolating plastic pipes that stop earth continunity. Maybe a cable has become damaged under the floor because it has been in contact with a hot pipe making it live. If you have an RCD's in the consumer unit feeding the supply to the heating circuit, it should trip if a leakage to earth via you is detected. If you have one, now might be a good time to test it using the test button.

The pump should have an earth connection to safely conduct any fault currents away to earth, the wire may appear connected, but the main earth connection may not be satisfactory.

The only way to be certain is to have your earthing system and wiring insulation checked. This requires specific instrumentation and the knowledge to use it properly. If you think the radiators are "live" get it done immediately.

If it's a static charge build up then when you get a shock it will dissipate and you won't get a secondary shock until the charge has built up once more. If it's static you will get an instant one-off tingle. If it is mains voltage (that I highly doubt) you can feel the 50 hertz and you will get shock after shock every time you touch it.

It's worth checking out mind, plastic push fittings and PTFE tape on compression fittings can break the earth bonding.

I'd definately have an electrician come and have a look at this for you with out delay.

You shouldn't receive shocks off anything how ever small or infrequent they are.

Sponsored Links
I've got a bit of a theory on this. (You can laff if you like :mrgreen:)

I reckon there is no earth bonding on the rad and the metallic particles circulating (magnetite) via the pump are causing a static charge build up.

Waddya think?

Could be. I'd still have it checked out though just incase there is some other issue and the pipes really are coming live to some degree.

If it is static, some earthing could help drain the charge away and stop you getting shocks.

It's not impossible, but quite unusual, and difficult, to have a boiler and CH system that is not earthed.

I would suspect whatever you are standing on - especially if it is a concrete or stone floor, or, for static, a nylon carpet.

If it is a consistent shock and not static, I agree about getting an electrician in. It could be quite serious and the current may be greater depending on weather, damp or conmtinued deterioration of a faulty connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back