electric shower installations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, are we allowed to replace a like for like swap electric shower under part p regulations..??? never normally do them but customer wants one asap and wasn't really sure where i stood as on a new installation i just leave it to the spark to connect up... cheers

Sponsored Links
According to the iee web site as long as the swap is like for like with NO changes to anything at all then this is not notifiable under part P

quote "The like-for-like replacement of a shower is not notifiable"

as regards competency - now there's another question!

SI2004:3210 says:

[code:1]DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

1. Work consisting of -
no mention of replacing a shower with an identical one
2. Work which -

(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,
4. For the purposes of this Schedule -
"special location" means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.
[/code:1]
In what way do these words indicate that replacement of a shower is not notifiable?

The exact quote from iee publication states:

Showers -
The like-for-like replacement of a
shower is not notifiable. Should an
increased rating shower be installed,
obviously it is necessary to check that
the cable has sufficient rating and if
it does not and work is necessary to
change the protective device or the
cable size then the work would
become notifiable.

Sponsored Links
newboy said:
The exact quote from iee publication states...
You're basically correct, as I've discovered only since my previous posting, because the new amendment to the Building Regulations (SI 2006:0652) classes the proposed work as non-notifiable.

However, please note that the IEE publication have no legal standing - the BRs do not use the term "like-for-like", so I humbly suggest that it's inappopriate to use it when the legislation is being discussed.

like for like only applies if original equipment has been installed correctly.ie has been previously inspected and documents left.
by a qualfied person.
common sense rules apply.

just-thinking, have you gleaned that requirement from the Building Regulations?

If so, could you possibly post a reference to the relevant section(s)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back