Electric shower playing up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping for some direction regarding our shower.

The water mains is a low pressure or seems that way. We live in a little village and we are at the end of a 5 row houses and water main supplies all 4 before ours.

Recently the shower is showing signs of some power when you first turn it on which I dont think its done before. This warm burst lasts about 2 minutes and then goes back to its usual trickle and then goes cold after a minute. if I turn it off and on again it does exactly the same.

Not sure what to do. Buy a shower or is it the mains?

Cheers in advance

James

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the internal controls of the shower are dying, if the rest of your water supply is normal it won't be the mains.

Time for a new shower, perhaps.

Blup

I dont see any obvious change of pressure or anything in any other taps we use.
I dont understand the higher pressure water though. Its like its built up and suddenly let loose and then withers away.

Last edited:
Electric showers are designed to regulate water flow and temperature as per the relevant shower setting, and contain various heating elements, control valves and cut outs to achieve this. Water flow will also continue after the shower (or at least in many showers) has been turned off, to prevent the build up of hot water for the next user.

I would guess - but don't know - something has gone wrong with the heating process and the thermal cutout kicks in when it senses the water is too hot.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Pretty much as above, could be the solenoid valve overheating, mine burnt out. Depending on make & model of shower it may be repairable or it may be time for a replacement. These people are good.
https://www.showerdoc.com/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back