electric v combi boiler shower? HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a worcester combi boiler and I want to put in a new shower. The problem is that I would like a really attractive 'out of the wall' shower head and a simple wall mounted control.
I have an electric shower and I like it because in the summer there is no need to have our hot water boiler on at all - it saves me a fortune. However the electric showers look awful and the pressure is not great....Any comments????

Sponsored Links
There are pros and cons with both types and I think you've got the main two cons of an electric shower. (by electric shower, I mean one that heats the cold water as it passes through it, and will have a rating in the region of 8 to 10 Kw, rather than the type which has an electric pump that just pressurises pre heated stored water and is often referred to as a power shower)

Electric showers can't match the flow available from a shower fed from a combi, and they generally don't look so good being surface mounted. Although I have seen some where the heater part was remote and could be hidden away, and a nice flush control panel was all that was seen in the bathroom.

As you say you have a combi, that will only heat the water you use (as opposed to heating an entire hot water cylinder) in exactly the same way as an electric shower does, so I can't see how an electric shower is saving you a fortune. I imagine an electric shower would actually cost more to run, than one fed from a combi, unless maybe you are on economy 7 or 10 and only shower in the 'wee small hours.'

Several shower manufacturers have shower selectors on their websites which will direct you to a particular type of shower that will be suitable for you and also your plumbing system. OK, it will suggest their products, but you will get an idea.

Are there advantages of an electric shower? Well the fact that they don't use quite so much water can offer a saving if you are on a water meter, and they can provide a back up hot water supply if your boiler breaks down.

I do not have a combi my mistake I have the type of shower that heats the whole tank of water...sorry!

Do you know where the electric shower was that has the ugly bits hidden? Thanks for your help on this!

Sponsored Links
The one I saw had the heater in an airing cupboard, but I have also seen one behind the bath panel on the wall under the bath in the past (about 20 years ago). But I believe this is now prohibited.

An example is the Triton t300 si. Here the 'power pack' can be installed in the loft, and the hot water comes down inside the riser rail to the shower head. Click here for information about it. The website also says that the heater can also go in a cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back