Electric welders for boby work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of under body work to do. Basically, a hole that needs to be plated.

I'll get some plate from an old PC psu and weld in place then paint with wax underseal.

Would this be considered a decent option for general welding work ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160-Amp-A...313918?hash=item51c5870fbe:g:FWAAAOSwEppUSrEa

Once I have a welder, I'm sure my imagination will get carried away with other thinks I can create for my diy tasks!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
No. Stick welding is no good for bodywork. You need MIG. Look at a Clarke or something similar. "Gasless" is handy if you have to weld outside.
The cheapest machines are reputed to be bad. "Live torch" and reliability problems.
Get some decent steel the same gauge as the bodywork as well. Local steel stockholder will have what you want. Possibly 1.0mm.

No way, I'm afraid - you need a MIG welder without a doubt. I got the T shirt for patching old cars when I messed around with the Austin 1100 range;)

No way, I'm afraid - you need a MIG welder without a doubt. I got the T shirt for patching old cars when I messed around with the Austin 1100 range;)
I'll bet the t-shirt had lots of burn holes in it! :)

Sponsored Links
You certainly wouldn't regret buying a MIG if you have the work for it, but up here you can hire for around £45 per day.
John :)

You certainly wouldn't regret buying a MIG if you have the work for it, but up here you can hire for around £45 per day.
Can't say I totally disagree with you John, but if you're going to use one just two or three times the hiring fees add up to a fair chunk of the price to buy.
Also having a welder available opens up all sorts of possibilities of mending and making stuff
That's just me though. I'm not much a hirer. Mind you, you have to have somewhere to store kit. Needs to be dry for a welder too. Particularly the wire.

For sure, that's dead true......I have had a Machine Mart MIG for many years now - although I've done very little bodywork repairs I wouldn't be without it. I'd buy a TIG tomorrow if I was quite a bit younger.
I find with my machine, the wire does tend to rust so I wrap the spool with cling film and this helps a lot as any rust at all and the wire won't propel through the rollers.
Another great purchase was an auto darkening helmet.....a brilliant bit of kit.
If I just wanted one patch done, I'd get a garage or body shop to do it I think.

Likewise I've had my Clarke for a bit. It hasn't done that much work really, but it's saved me a bit of money, and a lot of hassle. I'd like a TIG as well, but like you, I'd need to be younger to get the use out of it.
I keep the welder in a nice dry garage, and I usually take the wire out if I'm not going to use it for a bit. Keep it in my office (read tool) cupboard in the bungalow.
Agree about the auto helmet. A must.
And about getting somebody to do it if it really is a one off.

I guess it's something to do with being self taught but I can't get by with CO2 / Argon gas mix for mild steel although it's recommended to be particularly good with thin stuff.
CO2 only for me!

Mix is what I've got. Seems OK to me, but I'm self taught with MIG like you. I'd probably find either OK! :)
I usually have a bit of a practice before welding anything thin. . .

Silverline stuff and me don't agree, but I've no experience with that one.
However, that machine is a gas less type which needs a coated wire rather than the true MIG which surrounds the weld with an inert gas - so no slag left and minimal impurity.
The problem with gas MIGs is than any breeze blows the CO2 away, which is where the gas less machines come in.

So presumably on the gasless type mig welders, the wire coating burns off to produce the inert gas required for the welding process ?

Sponsored Links
Back