Electrical Installation Certificate

Either is acceptable. Depends how it was notified (if at all)

Either way - my point was that the CC does NOT come directly from the electrician and there is a delay (depending on the scheme and when the electrician notified it to them) in getting before from the scheme. So, depending on how long ago the work was done, there may be no problem. OP - when was this work done?

Sponsored Links
It was undertaken last week, with second fix yesterday. Certificate was brought yesterday too.

I understand however that some schemes (NICEIC included) may not allow third party certification, which could cause a problem...

I have not seen a compliance certificate, but the completion certificate I was not impressed with. There was nothing to tie it to what it actually covered. OK I completed the installation certificate so I know what was on it. But I used the IET downloadable forms which have no serial numbers. So I could do what ever I wanted after getting the completion certificate and as long as the dates were before the completion certificate was issued it would need a freedom of information request to get a copy of the installation certificate submitted to actually show what work it covered.

It would be interesting to see what the result would be? As to compliance certificates I was told they are applied for on line without actually sending the installation certificate in. So even with a freedom of information request best result is likely only going to say work was done at a date with very little to say what work was done.

So had I done a complete rewire but told the council I was just changing a consumer unit there is little or nothing to show what the certificate covers so no real point having them.

OK the compliance or completion is law where the installation is not, but in real terms the compliance or completion are really worthless bits of paper. It's the installation certificate which is the important one.

I actually thought the figures entered onto the installation certificate were checked before issue of the compliance or completion certificate but it seems from what I am told they are just an expensive rubber stamp.

ericmark - though they presumably allow you to sleep well knowing that your house is less likely to burn to the ground, avoid a £5,000 fine and sell your house easily without nervous buyers questioning the legality of the installation.

Sponsored Links
So the result seems to be that my EIC from the registered NICEIC guy covers the RCD (subject to inclusion of a comma)
The results of the testing should be on the schedules and will include the RCD.
I believe that "RCD" is being used to refer to a CU replacement - but your comment still applies to that.

Kind Regards, John

A Compliance Certificate comes from the schemes.
That is certainly my understanding. Somewhat confusingly, Approved Doc P says that either the installer or the installer's registration body should provide a BRCC to 'the occupier' within 30 days of completion of the work. I don't quite understand the 'either' part of that!

Kind Regards, John

Misprint? Mistake? In an approved document?

If it should be "either the Local Authority or the installer's registration body" then, as seems to be the case frequently with electrical abbreviations, a "CC" can be either a Compliance or Completion Certificate.

Misprint? Mistake? In an approved document? ... If it should be "either the Local Authority or the installer's registration body" then, as seems to be the case frequently with electrical abbreviations, a "CC" can be either a Compliance or Completion Certificate.
No, the abbreviation was mine - it deals with the two situations separately. It says that a Compliance Certificate must be provided to 'the occupier' (and BC) within 30 days of work completion by either the installer or the installer's registration body (and similarly in the case of a Third-Party Certifier), or that (where appropriate) a Completion Certificate will be provided by the relevant building control body.

Kind Regards, John

Quick follow up to this post: if the bathroom lighting is an extension to an existing circuit, would this require a separate minor works EIC to the full EIC for the consumer unit? Getting some conflicting reports offline.

Quick follow up to this post: if the bathroom lighting is an extension to an existing circuit, would this require a separate minor works EIC to the full EIC for the consumer unit? Getting some conflicting reports offline.
AFAIAA, there is no limit as to how many (or how 'minor') jobs can be included on one EIC, so both could have been put on one. However, if you already have an EIC for the CU which doesn't mention the bathroom lighting, then the latter could be dealt with separately by means of a MWC.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. The result of which presumably means I also require two Building Reg certificates once they have been submitted through NICEIC?

(I also failed to mention the new shaver socket in the bathroom. Could that be picked up by the MWC which also identifies the lighting?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back