Electrical Installation Certificate

I recently hired an unregistered electrician to convert my spots around the house to LEDs, insert new bathroom lighting, and replace my main RDC panel. He brought a registered electrician round for sign-off for certification purposes.
Was that registered electrician a registered third-party certifier?

If not then the unregistered electrician has broken the law, and the registered one has broken the law if he claimed that he did the work rather than just inspected and tested it.

Whose signature(s) are on the EIC? Is it the type with 3 separate declarations for Design, for Construction and for Inspection and Testing, or the type with one combined declaration and one signature for Design, Construction, Inspection and Testing?

Sponsored Links
If not then the unregistered electrician has broken the law, and the registered one has broken the law if he claimed that he did the work rather than just inspected and tested it.
I somewhat doubt that the OP cares too much about that, so long as he ends up with what at least appear (to anyone viewing them) to be 'appropriate certificates'.

Kind Regards, John

I recently hired an unregistered electrician to convert my spots around the house to LEDs, insert new bathroom lighting, and replace my main RDC panel. He brought a registered electrician round for sign-off for certification purposes.
Was that registered electrician a registered third-party certifier?

Whose signature(s) are on the EIC? Is it the type with 3 separate declarations for Design, for Construction and for Inspection and Testing, or the type with one combined declaration and one signature for Design, Construction, Inspection and Testing?
It's a combined declaration. I see where you're going with that...

As to John's point, you're partly right, though obviously I'm also concerned that any "illegality" would trickle down to me under Building Regs compliance.

I somewhat doubt that the OP cares too much about that, so long as he ends up with what at least appear (to anyone viewing them) to be 'appropriate certificates'.
Then he clearly has no acceptable standards of morality, decency or honesty, considers that lying, falsification and criminal acts are perfectly OK to be built into somebody's business processes, and would be personally quite comfortable when repeating the lie himself to the next buyer of his house.

Sponsored Links
Then he clearly has no acceptable standards of morality, decency or honesty, considers that lying, falsification and criminal acts are perfectly OK to be built into somebody's business processes, and would be personally quite comfortable when repeating the lie himself to the next buyer of his house.
If I was, I wouldn't be spending hours online trying to find out what to do about all of this. From the posts above, it seems pretty unclear whether electricians would always take the same approach to detailing on certification anyway, albeit I take your point, they are certainly not complicating issues by using unregistered electricians, as I have done.

The unregistered guy clearly has some sort of "business" relationship with the third party certifier. If the latter was concerned about the work, he wouldn't have certified it. As has been made clear above, his neck is on the line too.

As to John's point, you're partly right, though obviously I'm also concerned that any "illegality" would trickle down to me under Building Regs compliance.
Morality is a separate issue, which may or may not concern you, but the reality is that if a local authority issues a Completion Certificate or a scheme operator issues a Compliance Certificate, then nothing can possibly trickle down to you. Any illegality would relate to those who completed declarations or even the local authority/scheme operator who issued a Completion/Compliance certificate when they shouldn't have done!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back