Electrical shower breaker switch keep tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
Our electric shower breaker in the consumer unit started tripping frequently recently while in use, any idea please.

Sponsored Links
What is the device that trips (what is written on it, does it have a test button)?
What rating is the shower?
Has anything been changed recently?

Flameport,
Many thanks for the reply
Nothing has been changed recently and it has been working fine for the last three years, I will answer the rest of your questions when I have the time to check both the shower and the consumer unit.

The circuit breaker is 32A square D, an old black one
The shower cable is 10mm
The shower is quatronic 9.5 KW
I understand that the recommended circuit breaker for 9.5 KW is 40A; however this has been working for the last three years without any problem, why it is tripping now?

I have also noticed that the wire is discoloured (it is not as bright as the other wires in the consumer unit) at the connection point to the breaker, any idea why? Is it heated?

Sponsored Links
"Is it heated? I would say a resounding YES. Check all your connections, you may have a loose one. I at all possible try cutting back a bit to bright copper.

The solution is likely to be:
Cut back the cable to remove the damaged/overheated section
Replace the circuit breaker with one of the correct rating for the cable & shower.

A 40A circuit breaker is likely to be the correct option, but the cable size, length and installation method must be checked first.

agree with the above and also, how are you measuring the cable at
at 10mm2?? I'll wager it's actually 6mm2

Dear All,
Many thanks for your input.
Skenk,
I now it is 10mm2 as the breaker next to it is also 32A and connected to the cooker cable which is slightly thinner. I also followed it all the way to isolating switch then the shower.
I will try my local electrical merchants on Tuesday for 40A square D breaker and do what flameport suggested. In case I can find it as it is an old black breaker, any idea where I can get hold of one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back