electrical work on installs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I install a gas appliance and need to wire it electrically what are my options-re part P and notification as I am not part P registered yet. Do I need to get a sparks to do the work and notify his work for me or is there any way I can still do the work myself and get it checked through buildings control? There must be quite a few guys out there who still havent done their part P and I wondered what the procedure was.

Sponsored Links
You could tell BC before you start what you're going to do, pay them loadsamunny and get them do do what ever it is they do afterwards, easier and cheaper to get a spark.

I thought there was a grade for doing work "in support of main trade" which sounds right for what you want.

Who remembers what I mean?
(maybe put a post on the Electrician's forum? Someone there will know)

There is, but it's still called part P (as in Prescott). You still have to have test equipment to be calibrated, you still have to pay for regiatration every year you still have to empty your bank account for anything else you haven't thought of yet. It's all a pointless pain. Thanks very much John 2Shags Prescott, so you're sorry are you? Didn't Steve Irwin used to play with you in a cage or was that some other fat old croc?

Sponsored Links
So oilman-do you do installs,and if so how do you get around this problem-you're right it is a big pain in the a**e now to go through all the cr*p we have to-just to do something that we used to do ok before anyway,suppose I could pay the £1000 for the training and assessment plus the time off work plus the test equipment-makes you wonder whether its all worthwhile sometimes. :evil:

It isn't worthwhile, take up roofing as I keep saying. Ignore me at your peril.

Just wish I could take my own advice. I just keep paying out for all this training equipment and membership. My Megger has now done a year and is off being callibrated (so far they've had it two weeks). Not that it's been used much.

I do an occasional install as I hate the associated crap. For electrical work I tell the customer they'll need a spark. They can pay them direct, if I get them in then I am probably responsible. More crap.

Paul should have tried Dowlling and Mills. 5 day turnaround guarentted.

Yes but dfo they do it for 50 squiddly diddly's? And anyway what's the use of the thing when you're just banging one boiler into another boilers umbilical?

AND another thing, how many sparkies do you see dragging their test gear around the house? 1 in 100?

Probably not £50. my 3 sepaerates have just cost £124inc. But i did drop them off wednesday and pick them up today. got my annual elec inspection on wednesday next so needed them done pronto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back