ELV Downlighters in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen has been refitted and all that remains is to connect some extra low voltage downlighters.
The lights come in packs of four and on the instructions it recommends running no more than 4 lights per transformer (which is also supplied).
Anyway I connected the first 4 via junction box with the LN feed to the JB,the Live down the switch and the black core of the switch wire to the live side of the light which then connects to the transformer via the JB.
It works fine.

My question is I need another Live,Neutral feed to my next set of 4 lights,can I take it from the same JB as where the original feed is?

If not,what is the best way of doing it?
The second set of 4 lights is on another switch but I have my 2 core to the switch from my JB already (unconnected)

Any help , thoughts?

Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
In reply to my own post I have worded it wrong....obviously my switched live goes to my transformer and then to the light.

Apologies

you can connect your 2nd transformer to the jb that goes to the switch, so that it is in paralell with the first

just out of interest you may want to read 10a

iagree with breezer no probs!! :)
although breezer ,i appreciate im a brand new user (and hence can't really criticise experienced members) however there is a spell checker there to use ;)

Sponsored Links
spence_spark said:
although breezer ,i appreciate im a brand new user (and hence can't really criticise experienced members) however there is a spell checker there to use ;)

but like you, i typed it correctly and it appears wrong, now all we need is a punctuation checker

breezer said:
but like you, i typed it correctly and it appears wrong, now all we need is a punctuation checker

You didn't type it correctly - surely spence_spark was referring to "paralell"?

It was ironic though that his own post :

spence_spark said:

contained no fewer than 6 mistakes...

This was my first post to the forum,thanks for your help.

Anyway,let me get this right,I can connect my new LNE feed to my original LNE feed in my JB? Take more 1.5 T&E to another JB and then connect my switch wire here and also my other transformer?

I will have to connect my switching at 240V before my transformer because if I don't I could end up with 24v and 240V at the switch,which would leave different potentials at the switch.

Would I be right in saying this?

Thanks once more.

sort of, if you just want more lights to come on at the same time as the other ones, then just connect the new transfromer incoming to that of the other transformer incoming

if however you want to switch either set on independantly then yes you will have to run new switch cable

Yes that's right,the next set of 4 lights will need to be independently switched from the other 4.

Sorry for not making it clear , my English aint too good :confused:

Second switch wire is already in place,it's just the connections I wanted to check.

marquee said:
I will have to connect my switching at 240V before my transformer because if I don't I could end up with 24v and 240V at the switch,which would leave different potentials at the switch.

Would I be right in saying this?
Well it would be 12V, not 24V, but you're right - you always switch the primary side, not the secondary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back