Energysaver 50 wierd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to diagnose a problem with a Glow-worm Energysaver 50 that is not igniting.
The orange demand light is on and the fan is running, the APS microswith is clicking and the electrodes are sparking.
The solenoid coils are energizing on the gas valve, and the valve is clicking open. but there is no gas coming through.

is any power needed to any other area of the gas valve (tandem type) to get ignition?

Thanks for any help (i am corgi, but inexperianced)

Sponsored Links
Have you measured the gas pressure at the inlet to the gas valve?

What is it when its sparking?

Tony

Have you tried lighting the pilot with a match to confirm gas is there? Is electrode sparking correctly and in correct place?

Have you removed pilot injector, checked for blockages and blown through, preferably with a compressor?

If you do a lot of repairs its quickest to measure gas at inlet and then dis the pilot tube at the valve to see if gas is getting that far before delving into the time consuming combustion chamber.

Tony

Sponsored Links
This boiler doesn't seem to have a pilot
Gas inlet pressure was 24mb before the solenoid and 0mb after
even though i can hear at least one of
the solenoid energize.

is it possible for one of the solenoids on the tandem valve to stick (sounds unlikely)

Thanks

You cannot know if a gas valve is working by listening!

I think that this boiler ignites a pilot and if a flame is detected it operates the second stage.

I have already outlined above the way to diagnose the fault.

Tony

Might be worth disconnecting & checking the inlet connection to the gas valve. It could be blocked with the dreaded "black dust".

jkd1 said:
This boiler doesn't seem to have a pilot
Gas inlet pressure was 24mb before the solenoid and 0mb after
even though i can hear at least one of
the solenoid energize.

is it possible for one of the solenoids on the tandem valve to stick (sounds unlikely)

Thanks

Is the noise you here a 'buzzing'? If so the solenoid could be stuck.

Check the resistance in ohms of the coils, the twin coil is available as spare from hrpc, also think there is adjusting screw low/pilot gas pressure,
chech that the leads from pcb are giving power to soleniods also have had faulty lead before but some times gas valves can stick closed, failing all that looks like new gas valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back