"Equal" pay rant!

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307320

I'm a freelancer in the event industry, have been for over 10 years and am pretty well established.

Been working with someone new for the past couple of days, seemed nice enough, new graduate with sod all experience but seemed keen to learn, so I recommended her to one of my regular clients who've taken her on for a couple of jobs.

Then I made the mistake of asking what day rate she was asking for... It was just a few quid less than mine (the industry standard!)

I'm all for "equality", but when did it become right that two people with dramatically different levels of experience get the same money?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I'm a freelancer in the event industry, have been for over 10 years and am pretty well established.

Been working with someone new for the past couple of days, seemed nice enough, new graduate with sod all experience but seemed keen to learn, so I recommended her to one of my regular clients who've taken her on for a couple of jobs.

Then I made the mistake of asking what day rate she was asking for... It was just a few quid less than mine (the industry standard!)

I'm all for "equality", but when did it become right that two people with dramatically different levels of experience get the same money?!

I think you may be behind the times.

What I mean is you have been under valuing yourself. You may want to ask a few others in your industry what their value is.

I'm a plumber I do Gas and central heating. All be it there are more technical gifted out there than me there are also alot of push fit plumbers earning maybe more than me hour for hour job for job.

But there seems to be an industry standard that plumbers/ tradesmen earn X amount.
Or worst still tradesmen who turn up in an estate car with very little tools are my competition.

It's not about equal pay it's about setting fees as high as possible that also secure you enough work. Experience counts for nothing if she can do the job to the same standard or better.

I've employed very many trades over the years. When I needed a trade I asked around amongst people (who's opinions I respect) for a guddun & I've rarely been failed.

A plumber is a plumber right? Yet there are gudduns & badduns on a very wide scale, just like doctors & dentists, solicitors, accountants, drivers . . . etc etc etc

Sponsored Links
Put simply.

If she is getting what she is asking for, she isn't overpricing herself.

Are you worth more is the question you have to ask yourself, and then price accordingly.

You need to charge more, rather than her to accept less.
We go on price mostly, so the better/faster/more efficiently I work, the more I get.

Time-served is not, it itself, any right nor guarantee of higher salary.

As an extreme example, kids come in now, on what it took me 15 years to get to.
Just economics.

We go on price mostly, so the better/faster/more efficiently I work, the more I get.
It doesn't work like that in my industry, the job takes the same amount of time regardless of whether it's done well or not

I charge the fairly standard rate for an experienced professional, and take home what I consider to be a really good salary.

I'm just confused as to how we got to the stage were someone new can expect the same as us!

Maybe the issue I have with it is more the expectation of newcomers with zero experience that they'll get the same as the rest of us

Maybe being an experienced person means you might know what to do slightly better. But it may mean you think you're god's gift and can cut corners because you're you.

There a have been several times where I've had people assuming they're important saying "but with my experience , I think yada yada...".
To which the answer was "I'm not paying you to think, just do it like I said". Depends on the job....

I charge the fairly standard rate for an experienced professional, and take home what I consider to be a really good salary.

I'm just confused as to how we got to the stage were someone new can expect the same as us!

Maybe the issue I have with it is more the expectation of newcomers with zero experience that they'll get the same as the rest of us

An 18 year old Pele would more than likely get more than an aging Alan Shearer.

It sounds like you need to learn how to sell better and set traps for your competitors.

“Of course with 15 years experience in the industry, I have a lot of contacts and when if / something changes or goes wrong, I can pull people in that I know and trust. In this game you get a lot of start ups and they make the mistake of spreading themselves too thin. They then don’t have the contacts to get things back on track at short notice etc “

An 18 year old Pele would more than likely get more than an aging Alan Shearer.

This isn't a job where it comes down to natural talent though...

And an 18 year old Pele had been playing football for over a decade!

Somebody must think she is worth it if they're paying it.

Are you worth more ?
Yes, significantly! That's not being big headed, it's just the honest truth...

I recommended this person to one of my regular clients assuming she'd be expecting a trainee rate, so I doubt they'll employ her again if she wants the same rate as they pay me...

Sponsored Links
Back