"Equal" pay rant!

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
Yes if you are doing the same job. If you are using your experience and providing more at the request of the client you should charge more.

I work in the same industry as you and for over twice as long as you, should I charge double your rate?

If you ask me to stack and blend multiple projectors I would charge more than if you asked me to look after a breakout room with a TV and laptop. That is me charging for my experience and for something that requires more skill.

Personally I've always gone with a standard rate whether I'm teching an arena PA, or doing a two speaker breakout room. I get bored sh**less doing small jobs so certainly won't take a pay cut to do them!

Had the conversation with the company now, they're cool with it and have agreed that they'll be making sure she's aware of how much they're prepared to pay for someone new to the industry.

Out of interest, where are you based? I'm in the North West, do a lot in Manchester mainly...

Sponsored Links
East Anglia, but mainly london/ Europe jobs.

So I get it from finally having time to read the whole thing, you are an a1 and she would be something like a3 or a4, but wants to charge a1 rates.

Yep, she is in for a shock.

East Anglia, but mainly london/ Europe jobs.

So I get it from finally having time to read the whole thing, you are an a1 and she would be something like a3 or a4, but wants to charge a1 rates.

Yep, she is in for a shock.

Yeah, exactly that! I never use those terms as I always find them to be more of an "American" thing, but they probably would have been useful to explain my position here!

Sponsored Links
Personally I've always gone with a standard rate whether I'm teching an arena PA, or doing a two speaker breakout room. I get bored sh**less doing small jobs so certainly won't take a pay cut to do them!
I use them as fillers and it is my std. Rate, as you say, certainly not a pay cut for it.

You make no sense. This suggests they have agreed a contract to do work, without agreeing on a price. This is ridiculous.

It's very common in my industry, there's a level of trust there that means 99% of the time it's not a problem

Both parties in the contract are at fault for slovenly and unbusinesslike assumptions

(At least) one of them needs to regularise the position, perhaps with a confirming email "As discussed, on 39th Octember I will attend the Albert Hall at 8am to set up the Halls Patent Wheelyjig you will provide, and connect it to the in-house Laserports. I will remain on site until 10pm to disconnect and pack the equipment at the end of the performance and take it to the loading bay. My standard charge will be £1,000 plus ULEZ uplift of £50.

Additional hours, if requested by your event manager, Mr Scroggins, will be charged at £200 per hour or part thereof"

They will have a job not to pay her invoice if they haven't agreed a price or or rate.

It's the repeat work that may or may not happen

Need to head off potential ill feeling quickly.

They will have a job not to pay her invoice if they haven't agreed a price or or rate.

It's the repeat work that may or may not happen

That's why conpanies don't worry too much about purchase orders a lot of the time, they know we all want repeat work so won't take the mickey

Sponsored Links
Back