Estimate of what the wallet damage will be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a house and noticed a lot of rubble and cracking around soil pipe base, uncovered some rubble to find this :( how much should I be expecting to pay do you guys think to get it reconnected?
IMG_20161020_162431.jpg

Sponsored Links
How much would you expect a garage to re-connect your exhaust on you car? I don't know, I'd expect it to cover parts and his costs and time. Call someone local and get quotes. I can do it for a fiver.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the website and kind information.......would have been more informative to give an idea what the job entails, how much time it takes and then to give me a guess at what that would cost for an average plumber but I appreciate the sarcasm.

If that's the soil pipe it must smell bad and it's easy for rats to get through. I'd expect it to cost hundreds rather then thousands though, you could even diy for a saving. Good luck!
PS I was very disappointed by the welcome to the forum too, but there are so many people asking the same type of question and it's impossible to give an answer accurately.

Sponsored Links
I wonder how he is going to do it when the pipe does not line up with the socket.

The proper job would usually entail digging up the clay pipe and replacing it with a new one in the correct position under the pipe.

Tony

I think that it WAS correct but has just leaked and washed soil away from underneath and has just sunken.

Probably fracturing the next joint underground which is why the whole thing needs to be dug up and replaced/corrected.

I suspect the £70 job will just be a bodge job above ground only!

Indeed leaving the underground connection leaking could cause damage to the house foundations.

I see the likely proper cost as about £250 being most of a day's work and a new clay elbow!

Tony

Last edited:
OP, it wouldn't harm your cause to lift those pavers and (carefully) reveal the clay pipe as far as the next joint.

If there is damage, your plumber pal would be able to effect a repair far more cheaply than if he had to do the digging.

The original fault is probably that clay bend is not bedded on weak concrete mix.

Any replacement should be done properly!

Tony

I see the likely proper cost as about £250 being most of a day's work and a new clay elbow!

Tony

OP: Do yourself a favour and disregard any "quotations" from Tony.
He has no idea where you are, But, weirdly, he lives in London, and reckons a plumber will only charge £250 (for "nearly" a day including a clay fitting plus sand, cement and aggregate. Perhaps he will be happy to complete? He might even take the waste home on the bus.

On the plus side, he makes a good point in that you should probably have a good look to determine what has happened. It probably is a lazy installer, but worth checking for movement of the pipe.

Last edited:
Have lifted the flags and done some digging, all seems very secure and no breaks.....metal pipe has some movement and can be pulled back in line with a wiggle, noticed that it seems a poor job by whoever fitted new bathroom before us as changes from plastic to metal half way down, picture attached

Attachments

• IMG_20161022_104454.jpg
    IMG_20161022_104454.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 185
If the clay pipe is really secure and the next joint is not leaking then it could be simply repaired if the cast pipe can be pulled into position and is then vertical.

Not wishing to spend your money for you, but you might take the opportunity to remove the last section of metal (that joint looks a real botch) and go plastic down to ground level.

Good luck, buddy!

Thanks for your help, they've sent CCTV down, definitely no other breaks :)........just a quick seperate question, should a rainwater hole in floor from roof guttering hold some water when not raining or should it always empty itself completely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back