EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
No, I think someone just drove past it in an EV, and spilled some evil EV magic on it s they went past... :rolleyes:
I said nothing about EV being evil. They are inconvenient, and lithium batteries are unsafe because of spontaneous ignitions from fairly ordinary environmental factors such as water, sun's heat, friction heat, and minor bumps.

Pure guesswork with a preconceived bias.
It's the most convincing hypothesis until you show proof for otherwise. The sun can get incredibly hot and it's not uncommon for people to leave stuff on the seat. I have done it and counting my self lucky nothing happened. Lithium is too fickle and react to too many things. This is why it is bad.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Interesting video.
As for the 'hypothesis' it does appear that the source of the fire is at the rear offside interior of the car .. if a Hybrid would the battery be at that location?
It appears that only when the second pump turned up was there any attempt to extinguish the fire .. did the brigade assume that it was an EV fire & therefore problematic to put out?

Particularly sorry for the nearby car owners that had their day completely ruined.

Last edited:
Funny place to park for a long time in the sun, blocking those other cars in... :rolleyes:
No need to park for long time. 5 minutes of direct summer sun is enough heat for ignition, especially if the ambient is already warm. Here's my reconstruction of events:

1. guy left laptop/mobile on seat, and drove with AC. The device received plenty of sun heat
2. guy stopped to unload, opening doors, etc
3. heatwave entered car
4. Mid-day sun of summer pumped in more juice
5. ignition

Last edited:
No need to park for long time. 5 minutes of direct summer sun is enough heat for ignition, especially if the ambient is already warm. Here's my reconstruction of events:

1. guy left laptop/mobile on seat, and drove with AC. The device received plenty of sun heat
3. heatwave entered car
5. ignition
You really are full of it, aren't you?

Anyway, I'm off to bed. I've just done a 408 mile drive in an EV, and what with having to stop a couple of times to replace the battery, and then another couple of times to put fires out, it's been a long day...

No need to park for long time. 5 minutes of direct summer sun is enough heat for ignition,

So in your imaginary world, laptops are bursting into flame on sunny days.

I'm surprised there are any cars or houses left, in Fantasyland.

So in your imaginary world, laptops are bursting into flame on sunny days.
In my imagination, I could see power tools, mobiles, laptops, shavers, tooth brushes, and toys igniting. Whether these lead to fires is beside the point. I can see lithium ion batteries being completely banned at one point. You will have to rebuy everything. With this much profit involved, it's inevitable.

3. heatwave entered car
5. ignition
What B*ll*x.

In a former career I spent hours in cars (on hot and cold days) with laptops either working, idle or even just switched off with laptops on car seats.
Even had one left working in a car on the back seat in very hot sun for 6 hours.

Never had one burst in to flames.

Even had a laptop that had not shut down properly left in a PC carry case for four hours - that didn't the laptop any good - cooked the CPU, was never the same again but it didn't burst into flames.

Sponsored Links
Back