EV are they worth it?

The generating component of the NG is dramatically undersized - i.e. unable - to produce anywhere the output required.

The installed cabling is hugely undersized to carry the load that will be required to fuel a majority EV car-parc.
How much additional electricity would be needed then? Are we talking about one additional Hinckley Point C or more?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately like so many smaller UK manufacturers who seem to exist in a state of crisis, flirting with bankruptcy over decades cf Aston Martin and TVR
Oddly, in the case of Lotus, it's not money (or at least, I don't think it is). They have a Chinese sugar daddy with extremely deep pockets. I got the impression that it was just horrendous mismanagement and lack of direction. Geely also owns LEVC, who make the "London black cab", and I think they're also losing money, hand-over-fist. It'll just be a question of when Geely's top brass get fed up and pull the plug. Fortunately, Polestar seems to be doing very well for them.

The generating component of the NG is dramatically undersized - i.e. unable - to produce anywhere the output required.

The installed cabling is hugely undersized to carry the load that will be required to fuel a majority EV car-parc.

Surely the whole point of having a "national" grid, is that there is no single "generating component"? We already have multiple generating components - thermal power stations, nuclear power stations, wind farms, hydro, etc.

As for the installed cabling, it's obviously sized to be able to cope with peak demand at present, so for all the time EVs are charging off-peak, it will never be a problem. Locally, I can believe that some substations that are already running close to capacity, might have to be upgraded, along with their associated cabling, though.

Of course, that's where smart meters and V2G come into their own. I would expect the distribution companies to request short term switch-offs of some charging EVs (via the smart meters), in areas where demand was getting excessive. All in exchange for money, of course! What I envisage, would be a situation where the distribution network operator sends out requests to a number of smart meters, which will then notify their occupants of a request to stop charging - probably with appropriate sweeteners like a few kWh of free electricity, some hours further ahead. The house occupant would then be able to accept or reject the offer, depending on when they felt they needed the car.

In that case how can the Grid be upgraded to manage future demand?

Sponsored Links
Surely the whole point of having a "national" grid, is that there is no single "generating component"? We already have multiple generating components - thermal power stations, nuclear power stations, wind farms, hydro, etc.

As for the installed cabling, it's obviously sized to be able to cope with peak demand at present, so for all the time EVs are charging off-peak, it will never be a problem. Locally, I can believe that some substations that are already running close to capacity, might have to be upgraded, along with their associated cabling, though.

Of course, that's where smart meters and V2G come into their own. I would expect the distribution companies to request short term switch-offs of some charging EVs (via the smart meters), in areas where demand was getting excessive. All in exchange for money, of course! What I envisage, would be a situation where the distribution network operator sends out requests to a number of smart meters, which will then notify their occupants of a request to stop charging - probably with appropriate sweeteners like a few kWh of free electricity, some hours further ahead. The house occupant would then be able to accept or reject the offer, depending on when they felt they needed the car.
So a couple of ways it is already working are:
-Intelligent Octopus (and I think others?) customers get something like 6 hours cheap EV charging a day, but the times of that charging is managed by Octopus, depending on price and demand
-Load management rewards are happening again this winter for consumers with smart meters - payments for reduced use at times of short notice acute demand, and payments for additional consumer discharge at those times from house batteries or V2G
-Sadly tiny (though technically successful) trials where car charging and V2G is managed automatically on a half-hourly basis to balance supply and demand

Entirely untrue.

Entirely untrue.

This is a deeply unconvincing document. I don't believe you can have read it if you say it's true.

1. Will enough electricity be available to charge EVs?​

Their answer. Yes, believe us.

That's really convincing, don't you think ?

2)

2. Do the electricity grid's wires have enough capacity for charging EVs?​

They say yes based on previous peak demand: is the distributed demand ( rather than total demand ) going to be similar though ? Even given the oft-quoted famous figures for people boiling a kettle in commercial -breaks, I guess that most demand is created by industrial activities, so there is no guarantee, based on their conclusions, that distribution capacity to residential networks will be available. Since the installed capacity should be closely aligned with average usage ( plus saftey margin ) at time of planning, I would guess that many residential networks are based on max 12 - 15 kW drain per house ( any sparkies please correct ) and if lots of houses start drawing another 7kW for a domestic charger, that rule-of-thumb is out the window.

Myth 2: There aren’t enough public EV chargers available yet​

"In the UK, we’re identifying the locations where there is grid capacity to enable others to provide ultra-fast chargers, ensuring that nobody travelling on the strategic road network (motorways and principle dual carriageways) is further than 30 miles from ultra-rapid charging. This will give drivers confidence that their main – or only – car can be electric. "

Clearest example so far of PR dissimulation. Being within range of a charging point certainly doesn't mean it will be available when you need it, as witnessed by massive, multi-hour waits during the last twelve months. The rest of the paragraph talks about how " they are aiming at rolling out high-powered, open-access chargepoints across England to prepare for more zero emissions vehicles "
Are you confident they will achieve their aim ? I think I read recently that installation is steadily falling farther behind plan.

Myth 3: Electric vehicles don’t go far enough on a single charge and have a short range​

Understandably though, most people don’t buy for their average journeys – they buy for the longest ones they do. In reality, when we take longer trips, most of us already do stop for 15-20 minutes at a service station, to grab a drink, use the facilities or fill up on petrol or diesel. This is the time it takes to power up your EV with ultra-rapid chargers that are already being installed across the country, with plans for more over the coming years.

Once again, writing as if you will simply drive up to an empty, functioning charge-point which isn't the case currently. I also think that the 15-20 minute chargers mentioned are only available on Tesla, as well as expensive Porsche, Audi ( Jaguar ? ) models and certainly not bread and butter types., so I regard that time-estimate as deliberately mis-leading and you are probably going to need 60 -120 minutes for a modest to reasonable charge.

I would guess that many residential networks are based on max 12 - 15 kW drain per house ( any sparkies please correct ) and if lots of houses start drawing another 7kW for a domestic charger, that rule-of-thumb is out the window.
Because I often go out to plug my car in, then grab a shower and put on the oven for a full Christmas roast.

If you ignore overnight charging then you will always get this wrong.

For a 10-80% charge on a 100kW charger virtually no current EV will take more than an hour. Except a really expensive one that should be on a 300-500kW charger of course.

So much ****e in this thread being written by those who don't even own an EV or have being equally ignorant and stupid and bought the wrong ev vehicle for their usage requirements.

Probably the same type of idiot who buys a diesel car yet does less than 3000 miles pa tootling to the local shop and back.

You keep dropping your trousers and bending over for Big Oil. They love saps like you!
I don't. Oil companies have proven utility and convenience. Electric companies are a bunch of wanabe's who will create hassle for people. They have no faith in their claims, or they would produce the infrastructure ahead of time.

I don't. Oil companies have proven utility and convenience. Electric companies are a bunch of wanabe's who will create hassle for people. They have no faith in their claims, or they would produce the infrastructure ahead of time.

And yet, I've had more of these:

Broken ICE charger.jpg

than I've ever had power cuts!

Oil companies make utterly obscene profits. Petrol and diesel retailers ramp prices up within minutes of wholesale oil prices going up, yet seem to conveniently "forget" to lower them as the price of oil falls. Much of the money we pay for ICE fuel, leaves the UK and goes to prop-up rather unpleasant political regimes round the world. Right now, we're Boycotting Russian oil, because of Ukraine, but we're actually just buying Russian oil from India instead (after the Indians have taken their cut, obviously)! Putin (and the Indians and the oil companies and the retailers) are laughing at you! (Oh, and of course, the government is slapping your 4r5e for fuel duty AND then VAT on the fuel duty)! They've all got you by the balls and they are laughing at you.

But hey, maybe you enjoy that sort of treatment?

Sponsored Links
Back