EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Because I often go out to plug my car in, then grab a shower and put on the oven for a full Christmas roast.

You too, huh?! I thought that was just me!:ROFLMAO: I don't know about you, but I sometimes start up my lathe and compressor before I plug the EV in, whack the oven on and hop in the shower...;)

So much ****e in this thread being written by those who don't even own an EV or have being equally ignorant and stupid and bought the wrong ev vehicle for their usage requirements.

Probably the same type of idiot who buys a diesel car yet does less than 3000 miles pa tootling to the local shop and back.
I've read two comments by you so far: both just yapping, but with absolutely no evidence, based opinions, worthwhile discussion points.

I've read two comments by you so far: both just yapping, but with absolutely no evidence, based opinions, worthwhile discussion points.
I own an EV.
53KW.
Had it two years and done 40k miles in it including many trips abroad.

It's ****ing ace.

Questions?

Sponsored Links
This is a deeply unconvincing document. I don't believe you can have read it if you say it's true.

1. Will enough electricity be available to charge EVs?​

Their answer. Yes, believe us.

That's really convincing, don't you think ?

2)

2. Do the electricity grid's wires have enough capacity for charging EVs?​

They say yes based on previous peak demand: is the distributed demand ( rather than total demand ) going to be similar though ? Even given the oft-quoted famous figures for people boiling a kettle in commercial -breaks, I guess that most demand is created by industrial activities, so there is no guarantee, based on their conclusions, that distribution capacity to residential networks will be available. Since the installed capacity should be closely aligned with average usage ( plus saftey margin ) at time of planning, I would guess that many residential networks are based on max 12 - 15 kW drain per house ( any sparkies please correct ) and if lots of houses start drawing another 7kW for a domestic charger, that rule-of-thumb is out the window.

Myth 2: There aren’t enough public EV chargers available yet​

"In the UK, we’re identifying the locations where there is grid capacity to enable others to provide ultra-fast chargers, ensuring that nobody travelling on the strategic road network (motorways and principle dual carriageways) is further than 30 miles from ultra-rapid charging. This will give drivers confidence that their main – or only – car can be electric. "

Clearest example so far of PR dissimulation. Being within range of a charging point certainly doesn't mean it will be available when you need it, as witnessed by massive, multi-hour waits during the last twelve months. The rest of the paragraph talks about how " they are aiming at rolling out high-powered, open-access chargepoints across England to prepare for more zero emissions vehicles "
Are you confident they will achieve their aim ? I think I read recently that installation is steadily falling farther behind plan.

Myth 3: Electric vehicles don’t go far enough on a single charge and have a short range​

Understandably though, most people don’t buy for their average journeys – they buy for the longest ones they do. In reality, when we take longer trips, most of us already do stop for 15-20 minutes at a service station, to grab a drink, use the facilities or fill up on petrol or diesel. This is the time it takes to power up your EV with ultra-rapid chargers that are already being installed across the country, with plans for more over the coming years.

Once again, writing as if you will simply drive up to an empty, functioning charge-point which isn't the case currently. I also think that the 15-20 minute chargers mentioned are only available on Tesla, as well as expensive Porsche, Audi ( Jaguar ? ) models and certainly not bread and butter types., so I regard that time-estimate as deliberately mis-leading and you are probably going to need 60 -120 minutes for a modest to reasonable charge.

Yes, or a lot of these things, we only have their word for it, that we're going to be OK. Mind you, for at least the last decade, the doom mongers have been telling us the lights will be going out "next" winter, and they generally don't. So it's really a case of who to believe? One of the problems with privatised infrastructure, is that the only incentive to do a good job, is greed. Like the rail network in the run up to the Hatfield crash, or our water network right now, these $%^s will cut every corner then can, to avoid investment and make more profit. However, they'd do that with or without EVs. I don't worry so much about charging infrastructure in the busy areas, because there's profit to be made. It's rural areas that I'd be more concerned about.

By and large, the problems with people queuing for chargers is somewhat over-blown. I've done 20,000 miles in an EV this yer so far, and haven't had any huge problems queuing. Of course, I don't like queuing at all, and generally avoid using places (like motorway service stations) that I know are going to be busy - just like I avoid filling my ICE car at motorway filling stations because I know I'm going to get ripped-off.

In term of charging for an hour, you'd have to be pretty foolish to do that. The smaller, cheaper EVs can't accept the massive charge rates that the big ones can, but then, their batteries are smaller and they're more energy efficient, so while I might be able to take on more kWh in a given time than they can, they won't actually NEED as much to go the same distance. I'd be pretty willing to stick my neck out and say that (other than city cars like the electric Citroen Ami), I could take pretty much any EV made in the last couple of years, and do a (say) 250 mile run in it, only stopping for 15-20 minutes or so to charge.

Because I often go out to plug my car in, then grab a shower and put on the oven for a full Christmas roast.

If you ignore overnight charging then you will always get this wrong.

For a 10-80% charge on a 100kW charger virtually no current EV will take more than an hour.
Except a really expensive one that should be on a 300-500kW charger of course.
350 kW seems tops currently.

According to this list - contrary to your assertion -most current EV's cannot charge at 100kW

According to this list - contrary to your assertion -most current EV's cannot charge at 100kW

Ill be sure to let my EV know this when its doing 125kwh at Clapham services next time I'm passing....

That should be plenty for just about anyone! I've got a "reasonably" high-end EV - by no means the quickest or most powerful, and it can only accept a maximum of 200kW charge rate. Even then, only when the battery is nearly flat and reasonably warm. Above about 20% charge, you won't get it to take 200kW.

Fastned charging graph.jpg

I've certainly plugged into 350kW chargers before, but 175 kW would be plenty for me in reality.

I own an EV.
53KW.
Had it two years and done 40k miles in it including many trips abroad.

It's ****ing ace.

Questions?

Yes! How many new batteries have you had in that time, and how often does it set itself on fire?

(I only ask because I've had mine just coming up to a year now, and I'm getting really worried that I haven't had a fire yet - or needed a new battery). I was thinking of complaining to the manufacturer? I'd hate to think I was missing out on the true EV experience that so many (who haven't had an EV) tell me I'm missing out on! ;)

Yes! How many new batteries have you had in that time, and how often does it set itself on fire?

(I only ask because I've had mine just coming up to a year now, and I'm getting really worried that I haven't had a fire yet - or needed a new battery). I was thinking of complaining to the manufacturer? I'd hate to think I was missing out on the true EV experience that so many (who haven't had an EV) tell me I'm missing out on! ;)
1 battery. 0 fires.

(Keyfob)

1 battery. 0 fires.

(Keyfob)

You too, huh?

Do you reckon we should group together and start a legal class action like the diesel owners, because we haven't had the consumer experience we had been led to expect?

You too, huh?

Do you reckon we should group together and start a legal class action like the diesel owners, because we haven't had the consumer experience we had been led to expect?
Funny enough, the car has performed ace. Going back to ice is like stepping back in time to me.
It's a stark technological delta.

The marque though has been a poor experience and I'm not sure I'd go with them again. (VAG).

Funny enough, the car has performed ace. Going back to ice is like stepping back in time to me.
It's a stark technological delta.

The marque though has been a poor experience and I'm not sure I'd go with them again. (VAG).

I know what you mean. I think of myself as a dyed-in-the-wool petrolhead, but I have been pretty blown-away by my first EV and would certainly have another one! Don't get me wrong, I still have an old ICE "Sunday car" and it's lovely to step back in time for a short wee thrash, but while the EV is a bit "antiseptic" as driving experiences go (it's like driving a dishwasher), it makes up for it in other ways and the actual overall driving experience is truly excellent. Much as I love my old ICE, when the two sets of keys are hanging next to each other and I need to go out, it's a much harder choice than I ever thought it would be!

I am on my second battery. I messed up the first one by using bat-aid. The thought of fire never crossed my mind. It just isn't a thing with ICE.

We've done just over 2250 miles in our EV.

We have not done massive journeys so far, around 150-200 miles.

We have an Ohme Home Pro, fed by Octopus on the Intelligent 7.5p tariff.

All good so far.

Sponsored Links
Back