EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
No need to park for long time. 5 minutes of direct summer sun is enough heat for ignition, especially if the ambient is already warm. Here's my reconstruction of events:

1. guy left laptop/mobile on seat, and drove with AC. The device received plenty of sun heat
2. guy stopped to unload, opening doors, etc
3. heatwave entered car
4. Mid-day sun of summer pumped in more juice
5. ignition

I recall reading a test carried out by the German magazine "auto, motor und sport" where back in the 90's they took a black car/black interior to Font Romeu in the French Pyrenees, which is where France erected the world's largest solar furnace - https://anglophone-direct.com/mont-louisfont-romeu-odeillo-via/ - so obviously selected for maximum sun etc.

They left the car there all day and the interior temperature on top of dash-board (black ) was about 58 C. Hot therefore, and laptop manufacturers would warn about such temperatures, but not the instant combustion that you are warning about.

Interesting article re Tesla . Water gets into battery of £ 60K Tesla and Tesla says it's due to Scottish weather ( happened in Edinburgh ) and this isn't covered by the eight-year guarantee. Repair estimate £ 17 000 .

Irrespective of the technical problems here, this once again shows that Tesla is an appalling company in the image of its main shareholder and , heaven help you, if anything goes wrong. I have to believe that since this was a rain-storm and not driving through a river that Tesla would lose if this goes to court.

Last edited:
Water gets into battery of £ 60K Tesla and Tesla says it's due to Scottish weather ( happened in Edinburgh ) and this isn't covered by the eight-year guarantee.
Who would have thought water would get in there? Me certainly. I spend a great deal of time messing with exterior facing timer. Even London weather is quite capable of getting water everywhere.

Sponsored Links
I don't find it slightest surprising that lack of practicality causes cancellation of EV truck. For commercial applications, people simply cannot afford down times (while charging) in their equipment.

I don't find it slightest surprising that lack of practicality causes cancellation of EV truck. For commercial applications, people simply cannot afford down times (while charging) in their equipment.

He should tell Ford. They don't seem to know yet... :rolleyes:

But just like ICE vehicles, some sell better than others. Rivian seem to be boosting production to try and keep up with demand, so maybe American EV pickup purchasers just prefer a different sort of electric picckup?

Sorry to rain on your parade & all that...:ROFLMAO:

Diynutter just doesn't like electric cars, and will post any old nonsense to try to discredit them.

Diynutter just doesn't like electric cars, and will post any old nonsense to try to discredit them.
I am sure the EV industry is quaking in its collective boots each time he posts.

To digress slightly, I have taken a a cab into the West End a few times recently. Those EV taxis are pretty impressive. Very comfortable and pretty much absent of any noise. Far superior to those cr@ppy old diesel models. Given that they cost their drivers about £48k (once they have received their government grant) I suppose they should be, but still, a genuine step in the right direction methinks. It did not even burst into flames.

I am sure the EV industry is quaking in its collective boots each time he posts.

To digress slightly, I have taken a a cab into the West End a few times recently. Those EV taxis are pretty impressive. Very comfortable and pretty much absent of any noise. Far superior to those cr@ppy old diesel models. Given that they cost their drivers about £48k (once they have received their government grant) I suppose they should be, but still, a genuine step in the right direction methinks. It did not even burst into flames.

The LEVC TX5 is a pretty impressive beast for sure. But then, they got themselves a Chinese sugar daddy, who also happens to own Volvo, so I think a lot of the running gear is off the XC90. And, as you say, is light years ahead of the 1950s technology that the old TX4 was based on!

Quite! He doesn't seem to have twigged that there are different li-ion chemistries either - or, for that matter, different regulatory frameworks for different types of product...

Meanwhile, I've just done an 850 mile round trip in an EV, and it didn't set itself on fire - not once. Not even a little bit... ;)

The LEVC TX5 is a pretty impressive beast for sure. But then, they got themselves a Chinese sugar daddy, who also happens to own Volvo, so I think a lot of the running gear is off the XC90. And, as you say, is light years ahead of the 1950s technology that the old TX4 was based on!
That's very interesting. I was vaguely aware of the Chinese funding (is it Geely?) - but the links with the XC90 is news to me. Actually, as favour I drove a neighbour's XC90 to some street parking when he was having his drive resurfaced - he was abroad at the time. It may not be reasonable to form any firm opinions on a 5 minute drive from cold but it did seem to be a pretty ratly vehicle - the engine sounded like a cement mixer. It was a 2010 model, so fairly old. So maybe Volvo have upped their game on this model? Anyway, it looks as if they will be one of the first manufacturers to totally ditch ICEs.

Sponsored Links
Back