Excavating near gas supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the procedure when you need to excavate the ground in the vicinity of a gas supply which is buried outside your property?

I plan to replace a cracked rainwater gully, but to do this I would have to dig out a concreted area adjacent to where the gas supply enters the meter.

Presumably I ask Transco to excavate the area because the pipe is their responsibility and they'll levy a charge, but I haven't found anything online to confirm this.

If nobody on DIYnot knows, then I'll give Transco a call.

Sponsored Links
Transco no longer exists, it is national grid now, nothing to stop you excavating this yourself, however if you damage the pipe you will probably be charged for it, doubt if they would come out and excavate it for you even if you offer to pay, you never know though worth a phone call I suppose

Thanks for that.

I don't have any issue with doing the work myself, but just wondered whether there is any legal requirement to get the relevant authority to do the excavation lest I prove to be a bit cavalier with my trusty spade.

I'll crack on in due course.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
a gas supply which is buried outside your property?

Do you mean outside your house and under land you own or is the pipe under land that you do NOT own ?

If you own the land OK, if you don't the land then it is down to the gas people.

Learn what to do should you accidently puncture the pipe and then while waiting for the gas men to come.

Do you mean outside your house and under land you own or is the pipe under land that you do NOT own ?

If you own the land OK, if you don't the land then it is down to the gas people.

Learn what to do should you accidently puncture the pipe and then while waiting for the gas men to come.

Its on land owned by me. Having looked again, I think I might get away with only digging up the concrete immediately around the gully, so may not have to disturb the gas pipework. I'm inclined to chip it away by hand rather than use a whizzer, but it'll take a devilish long time. Still, better than cutting through the gas company's pipe.

Its actually Wales and West Utilities that oversee our gas supply pipework; Cadent takes over literally a few hundred yards North West of where we live.

Someone else made the observation that the utilities aren't always particular about burying their pipes at the correct depth, so thanks for that, and for the Denso suggestion also.

Last edited:
Me, above: "Someone else made the observation that the utilities aren't always particular about burying their pipes at the correct depth, so thanks for that, and for the Denso suggestion also".

Sorry, that probably sounds as if I only believed you because I read it elsewhere. I meant.."thanks for confirming what I'd already been led to believe".

Changes all the time Dan havent a clue what the new name or livery is, up here it is SGN or it was this morning might have changed
Don't worry I will have to stop myself caking them Transco....

Muppets usually serves as a reasonable alternative down here.

Neighbour (not a muppet) got his new livery last week.... Want a picture?

Go for it

Brace yourself....

1503421383944979834450.jpg

There... I warned you.

Awesome innit? :LOL:

That must have took a fantastic consultancy and design agency to think that one up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back