Excavating near gas supply.

Better take a week chipping away like a big wuss than end up sitting on top of a mushroom cloud.

Whilst any gas leak isn't particularly wanted, gas escaping straight to atmosphere isn't going to cause too much of an issue in the short term, unless it gets ignited. Had a Gentleman with many years experience in gas supply works taking us for a National Roads and Streetworks course, he told us an external escape into fresh air was pretty low down on his list of worries when getting called out to a leak. If ignited it will burn rather than explode.

Gas escaping into an enclosed space is the danger. We are all I think, aware of the catastrophic results of a gas explosion within a building.

Sponsored Links
@amfisted ... with that monica, perhaps you should go at it with a trowel and a brush (TimeTeam style) :p;):ROFLMAO:

Just do it FFS... I'd have it exposed and cleaned out in about an hour or so.

Get a £50 Titan from screwfix and go at it... you'll be done in no time. (n)

Its not an ironic moniker, believe me. Hence my preference for chipping away patiently in this case rather than creating firework displays with gas and power tools.

Mind you, I'm a big fan of Titan tools, generally speaking, and presumably their breakers will be as reliable as their other stuff. They do a Titan SDS breaker for 65 quid, which whilst cheap is a bit out of my price range for a couple of months. Still, I can always let the gully carry on leaking till Christmas.

I'm not a 'great' fan of Titan in general, but, as @Dan Robinson will attest to, if you're gonna fubar a power tool, they're cheap enough to warrant use and abuse. ;)

Whilst any gas leak isn't particularly wanted, gas escaping straight to atmosphere isn't going to cause too much of an issue in the short term, unless it gets ignited. Had a Gentleman with many years experience in gas supply works taking us for a National Roads and Streetworks course, he told us an external escape into fresh air was pretty low down on his list of worries when getting called out to a leak. If ignited it will burn rather than explode.

Gas escaping into an enclosed space is the danger. We are all I think, aware of the catastrophic results of a gas explosion within a building.

Fair comment, Hugh. I suppose its more the thought of having to pay the utility company to fix the leak that puts me off using power tools than the gas escape itself, even though I won't be paying for it. I'll get my hands on one of those breaker thingies when cash allows and really, REALLY annoy the neighbours. Though I wonder which is a worse neighbour nuisance: a quick hour or two's hammering with a breaker or a week of relentless chipping away?

Sponsored Links
:LOL: still haven't had time to take those two back.

Did the upstairs ufh today.

Do you think that celotex is down yet?

Is it fook :LOL:

Snatched the water main today. Was less dramatic than I was fearing.

Ordered a Note 8 to reward myself :cool:

:LOL: still haven't had time to take those two back.

Did the upstairs ufh today.

Do you think that celotex is down yet?

Is it fook :LOL:

Snatched the water main today. Was less dramatic than I was fearing.

Ordered a Note 8 to reward myself :cool:

Well I've torn my bloody shoulder and I can't take that back!

And it was absolutely nothing to do with doing a back flip off the 10' platform at Box End Park yesterday, to impress my two boys and some yummy mummies that were watching. :D:cool::sick::(

Haven't told him yet. He's fishing for one of my old Note 4's though :LOL: and my old Gear Fit.

Doesn't get back until late yesterday. Chlorine Gas at Eastbourne was fun though :D

FFS, I thought you were only there visiting the FIL! What happened then? :ROFLMAO:

It was my dad we were visiting.... Then there was a mystery gas cloud over coming in from the west - turned out to be chlorine, Not sure if they worked out where it came from :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back