Excavating near gas supply.

From experience chaps... back in the 'day', when graphic designers were actually able to communicate with the client directly and the design realisation was truly audience focused, the results were pretty good and great brands were established through great identities.

With today's, multi-layered, management practices, we tend to end up with a Camel, when a horse was called for!

Sponsored Links
Just returning briefly to the original topic, I emailed Cadent the other day to clarify the situation (before I realised it was Wales and West who administer my gas supply pipework) and I received a reply yesterday.

They said yes, I can do it myself, and to let them know if I have any queries/ do any damage.

I would have said have half a bucket of clay on standby, but you're in Flintshire which, I guess is all 'Flint"? and won't be much good to plug up a gas supply pipe o_O

The gas will get past the clay quite easily, but turning it off, and slapping some two part body filler over it might work. On the other hand, be positive, and dig carefully. But at least with a gas leak, they'll be out within a couple of hours.

Sponsored Links
I've used a big slug of clay when this has happened - been told to as well, until Grid arrives... been good enough. Around these parts there's always plenty of it around :p

can just see them evacuating during an emergency .. guy shouting CADENT please dont touch anything and leave the building , some geezer turning light on saying who the f##k are you.
Most of the old hands still would shout/use gasboard , as opposed to transco or NG . as its people usually understand it.

As for vans they are all currently being de logo-ed and few new vans replacing existing .
Going to cost an absolute fortune anything with a National Grid logo . vans , overalls , barriers , paperwork ,etc etc will have to be changed.

Last edited:
So what does the new name mean? Or do they just pluck words/names/letters out of thin air when they get bored?

Have they really got nothing better to do than dream up daft new names? No bloody wonder our gas bills are going up.

Denso tape, even insulation tape, will do as a temporary fix, there's not a ridiculous amount of pressure in a gas service usually. Seen a few plugged with Denso and even Plumbers Mait, the insulation tape came in when I saw a fella clearing around a gas service to expose it for the digger driver, so he could work around it, and in the process, he managed to put a tine of the fork, straight through the service.... The digger driver found a roll of insulation tape in his cab, so that had to do. Few turns around the pipe sorted it.

its the name of the company that bought them simple as that.
Hugh jaleak . really ? it could be 2 bar in that service which is a fair pressure

"Temporary fix" that's all you can do until 'someone' arrives - hopefully a mate who works for grid :whistle:;)

I would have said have half a bucket of clay on standby, but you're in Flintshire which, I guess is all 'Flint"? and won't be much good to plug up a gas supply pipe o_O

On the contrary: its all clay here, which has caused me no end of problems with garden drainage. It would be nice to find a positive use for the darned stuff.

The gas will get past the clay quite easily, but turning it off, and slapping some two part body filler over it might work. On the other hand, be positive, and dig carefully. But at least with a gas leak, they'll be out within a couple of hours.

I intend to dig carefully, and keep the suggested items on standby just in case. Could take some time to dig by hand because the concrete around the rainwater gully looks awfully thick, probably even thicker than the five or six inches or so that I've removed whilst replacing the path around the building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back