Expansion Vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved, and had service engineer out to my vokera bolier, he did some tests and says I need new expansion vessel, but since he has been over a week ago the boiler is working fine, I dont have to top up the system with water, how do I find out if I really need a new expansion vessel.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is VOKERA LINEA 28

The Running pressure is quite high - 2.75 Bar

I will give cold pressure later on today after I have switched off

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Pressure when boiler is hot (85 when CH stat is at max) will always be slightly nore than cold (20 degrees)

So can anyone answer the £200-00 + question

Do I need a new Expansion vessel ?

or am I being ripped off

Your pressure is too high. Open a bleed valve and drain some water into a bowl till it gets down to a safer level below the 2 bar mark. Most combi's run at 1 - 1.5 bar depending on what he manufacturer says.
If perchance your pressure goes back up to 2.75 then post back for further advice.
So can anyone answer the £200-00 + question

Do I need a new Expansion vessel ?

or am I being ripped off

At this moment in time I would say no, you don't need one. Follow the above advice and post back if you still have a problem

Thank you for your advice, I very much appreciate.
I will reduce pressure and report back

Hopefully its just your filling loop valve that isn't turned off properly.
The logic of the valve is that if the 'turning part' is in line with the pipe then it's ON. Across the line of the pipe is logically associated with barring the flow and therefore OFF.
Turn it off and then to prove that there is no water going in; disconnect the pipe. Hold it over a bucket in case the valve leaks.

Lower the pressure as before. See how it goes, then report back

Latest update on my boiler - it is running reasonably fine while in use, but the pressure does drop down if I have the central heating switched off for a few hours. The pressure drops quite low to about 0.7 Bar.

I thank you all, for the advice and help

When the engineer came did he drain off one of the upstairs rads?
You can do this as a temp measure when exp vessel has gone so you still have heating, you are just using one of your rads as a makeshift exp vessel.

I dont know why you dont want to believe your service engineer? Why dont you trust him? Did he have a gold ring in one ear?

Those pressures mean that EITHER ther EXV neds reprerssurising ( see FAQ ).

OR

It needs replacing ( see FAQ ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back