Exposing my roofing beams in bedrooms

Sponsored Links
We agree with RonnyRaygun, thats good advice.

Your aim in this project was not to save money on heating costs for one room was it? If it was to make the room more attractive then go ahead. Up to you whether to call in a surveyor. Insulation wise you are limited to the depth of your purlin timbers. You will be insulating between the rafters leaving at least 25mm air gap to the tiles which are going to let in lots of air without any felt in place. I doubt you will get any condensation problems with no felt there so i wouldnt worry about any roof vents unless a problem develops. You can pack out the rafters with additional timber to put as much insulation in as the depth of pullins allow without 'losing sight' of them. I would leave a 25mm air gap & insulate flush with the rafters personally.Seal up all gaps thoroughly. Could cost you £30 a year more in heating mind so be warned ;)

Hugh,
Agree with you, some of the advice that you have been given by three very knowledgeable people does sound harsh but we feel sure it has been given all in good faith on the limited information given.
Not known. Width, breadth, pitch or roof covering. Assume traditional close coupled cut roof.
Agree with Tuck under felt is not essential, however it is beneficial to have a secondary line of defence.
As roof design is not know Tuck has mentioned A frames. To us A frames are pavement display boards or A frame single storey houses built in heavy snow countries.
Depending on size of area being covered and pitch you will have purlins possibly supported on one or two king post trusses or TDA trusses if house built after 1945.
If you have king post trusses with principal rafters, then dependant on truss centres you could possibly cut ceiling joists out in between to form coupled roof in these sections.
Without a lot of further information, we are not brave enough or silly enough to say any more on the constructional side of your requirements.
However we will quickly add in the following.
Insulation. To achieve current u value of 0.18W/m2k.
Between rafters with 25mm air gap above Celotex XK4000 165mm or between rafters with 25mm air gap above FR4000 75mm with PL4000 62.5 under rafters.
If existing radiators calibrated size wise for existing areas they will not have sufficient out put for increased cubic air value. Ditto possibly your boiler also if working to maximum out put.
If you only have one upstairs room, then partitions are no problem. If you have more than one room, what will you do about increasing height of partitions up into vault?
Also remember all lighting points will need extending.
We have not set out to be negative, but to advise you of the pit falls.
If you go ahead, best of luck, and would suggest you swing a hammock at ceiling level as it will be the warmest part of the room.
oldun :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well thanks for your time and good advice. I admit to being just a little confused with the detail but I think I'm just about with you. Will take a photo on Saturday and that should help me out. Realise the prob with insulation and heating costs but the extra is worth the exta room in the house. I will post the picture shortly. Many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back