Extend circuit in garage

Sponsored Links
Update for you all.

Garage power & lighting doesn’t not appear to be on its own circuit.

There is cable in a conduit to the garage... however I cannot be sure that the portion of cable running under the ground is actually protected... or SWA.

I also still need to check how it is actually wired.

E0326D6D-57F3-4035-89AB-000521513A00.png

So I have finally got round to working out how it has been wired.

Within the kitchen there is a fused spur (taken off the ground floor socket ring) this is wired into the garage and feeds a double socket. This feed is also used to take another fused spur for the garage and external lighting.

So firstly is it acceptable to have a fused spur from a fused spur? And I’m assuming this limits my extension of the sockets in the garage.

Also, the protective conduit is poorly sealed from the house exposing a terminal block which I have raised with the electrical contractors, which brings me to my next question... what’s the situation with not using SWA from the house to the garage? Is there a specific reg covering this?

Within the kitchen there is a fused spur (taken off the ground floor socket ring) this is wired into the garage and feeds a double socket. This feed is also used to take another fused spur for the garage and external lighting.
OK. That's a pretty common arrangement when only a modest electricity supply to a garage/outhouse is required.
So firstly is it acceptable to have a fused spur from a fused spur?
Yep - in fact you can connect anything (and as much as you want) to a fused spur, although the total current available to everything supplied by the spur will obviously be limited to 13A.
And I’m assuming this limits my extension of the sockets in the garage.
Nope. As above, you can connect as many sockets as you like (plus the lighting FCU) to the fused spur - but, again as above, bear in mind that the total current available for everything in the garage will be limied to 13A by the fuse in the first FCU.
Also, the protective conduit is poorly sealed from the house exposing a terminal block which I have raised with the electrical contractors, which brings me to my next question... what’s the situation with not using SWA from the house to the garage? Is there a specific reg covering this?
If the cable is in 'adequate' conduit (is that steel conduit?), it does not need to be SWA.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed reply! Ahh okay so that makes sense now, I did read that somewhere so thanks for confirm that I can radially extend the sockets. 2 will run a dryer and fridge so be nice to have a couple more for power tools/occasional use.

Regarding conduit, its plastic conduit into up the side of the house and garage with the portion below the gravel line unprotected... they told me it runs about 400mm below surface.

I’m having the garden professionally landscaped so we will find out if there is any more protection below...

T...Ahh okay so that makes sense now, I did read that somewhere so thanks for confirm that I can radially extend the sockets. 2 will run a dryer and fridge so be nice to have a couple more for power tools/occasional use.
As I said, you can have as many sockets you like on a fused spur, BUT (depending upon the actual model) the dryer (when on) could use up most of the total 13A available.

Kind Regards, John

Good point! Well the tumble is to be used scarcely and the fridge, while handy isn’t actually proving to be required atm. I will definitely keep that in mind!

To be honest, I was slightly annoyed that being an expensive new build with a nice detached double garage we weren’t supplied with a small second CU or a more future proof installation.

To be honest, I was slightly annoyed that being an expensive new build with a nice detached double garage we weren’t supplied with a small second CU or a more future proof installation.
It seems to be common. Even with 'high spec' houses, the (not necessarily correct) assumption seems to be that the only electricity needed in a grage will be lighting and a socket or two for relatively small loads.

Kind Regards, John

If you are having the garden landscaped, why not take the opportunity to put either trunking in for cable, or run some new SWA to the garage? None of it will cost much, and if the garden is going to be dug up etc now is the time to future proof it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back