Extend circuit in garage

Sponsored Links
Good point... maybe it’s on its own circuit
That should be very easy top ascertain by looking at the consumer unit and seeing if there is a separate breaker for the garage.

As has been said, if the supply to the garage is a spur from a ring circuit, then not only are your options very limited, but what you already have is probably non-compliant with the Wiring Regulations.

Kind Regards, John

Be interesting to see the completion cert. It would be odd to find non-compliant work on a house that is not yet completed.

Be interesting to see the completion cert. It would be odd to find non-compliant work on a house that is not yet completed.
It would. I suspect that it may well prove be a dedicated garage circuit, quite possibly a 2.5mm²/20A radial - in which case it would be compliant, circuit-wise (and would allow the OP to add sockets). but leaves us wondering about the seemingly very odd (and susceptible to mechanical damage - so maybe not even complaint!) location of the (we assume lighting) FCU.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I find it hard to understand why the cabling would be as it is if the supply doesn't come in at the FCU.

Whether the socket is protected by the fuse is, of course, impossible to tell.

I find it hard to understand why the cabling would be as it is if the supply doesn't come in at the FCU. Whether the socket is protected by the fuse is, of course, impossible to tell.
I agree, on both points - but all we can do is guess and speculate. I would suggest that someone capable of locating that FCU where it is, in a 'hostile# environment like a garage, is probably 'capable of anything'!

Kind Regards, John

That should be very easy top ascertain by looking at the consumer unit and seeing if there is a separate breaker for the garage.

As has been said, if the supply to the garage is a spur from a ring circuit, then not only are your options very limited, but what you already have is probably non-compliant with the Wiring Regulations.

Kind Regards, John

Yeah thanks John and everyone else.

I’ll check on Thursday when I get there.
I agree, on both points - but all we can do is guess and speculate. I would suggest that someone capable of locating that FCU where it is, in a 'hostile# environment like a garage, is probably 'capable of anything'!

Kind Regards, John

Appreciate the help and advice. Slightly worried that this is a new build but I assume the professionals know what they are doing.

I’ll investigate when I move in as to how it is wired and it’s location on the ring or whether it has its own circuit.

Not too worried about the location as it will be well protected by my new kitchen units...!!!

.... I’ll investigate when I move in as to how it is wired and it’s location on the ring or whether it has its own circuit. Not too worried about the location as it will be well protected by my new kitchen units...!!!
Fair enough - but the fool who installed that FCU where it is presumably did not know that you would be 'protecting it' with kitchen units :)

We look forward to hearing what you discover!

Kind Regards, John

Do you not remember the stories in the press a couple of months ago about people moving into brand-new homes only to find massive problems with them?

May or may not be a bit of untidiness by the builders, who tend not to be allowed a lot of time. Not rocket science for the owner to get rid of it.

Whatever that is (a splash from some over-enthusiastic mixing?), it does not make the wall shoddy. The wall looks quite well done, actually.

Hardly a hanging offence.

Probably the usual NHBC one, whose value vs paper is not affected by, and does not cover, a bit of wood left behind, a bit of soiling on the inside of a garage wall, or cables installed in full compliance with the Wiring Regulations but not precisely parallel to the edge of a wall plate.

If work looks poor that you can see just makes me wonder what work you can't see is like?

Ban

I do remember those stories.

I must be a tad old fashioned. I expect new houses to be well-built to relevant standards. If they are released for sale with major faults several people are not doing their jobs properly!

If the existing system cannot be trusted, it needs to be changed.

Chivers

You can see the way the wall is constructed and that looks OK.

I must be a tad old fashioned. I expect new houses to be well-built to relevant standards. If they are released for sale with major faults several people are not doing their jobs properly!
plus_one.gif

If the existing system cannot be trusted, it needs to be changed.
If the problem is not with the system, per se, but with people not doing their jobs properly, changing the system will only create new opportunities for people to not do their jobs properly.

Instead of the usual knee-jerk reaction of new laws to address a problem of existing ones not being enforced, how about some prosecutions of Bovis, Taylor Woodrow etc for contravening the Building Regulations. And if they built an estate of 500 houses, each with 5 windows not properly sealed, let's see 2,500 prosecutions, and 2,500 fines.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back