Extending ceiling light cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move my kitchen ceiling light but the cable isn't going to be long enough. We have no access from above to replace the length of cable, so we're going to have to extend the existing cable.

What's the best (and safest) method for doing this? I realise that choccie block connectors arent' the right thing to use - but what is?

Sponsored Links
There's never a great way to extend a cable but when you really can't avoid it I believe the accepted method is to use crimped connectors. Use a ratchet crimp tool rather than the thing on the end of a cheap wire stripper.

The main concern is ease of access to any joints or junctions.
This is why you are being recommend methods or accessories that are considered maintenance free.
Are sure you are going to be able to extend the circuit without destroying the ceiling, there are generally lots of obstruction to consider, joists(there are regulations concerning the position of holes and hole sizes made), noggins, other cables and possibly some pipework.
And don't forget to keep the CPC/earth connected and continuous.
Crimped joints would also require heat shrink sleeve.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for missing your replies.

We had to rethink the lighting - we drilled an inspection hole and discovered that there was the original lathe and plaster ceiling, battoning and then plasterboard (effectively two ceilings) so putting in downlighters was going to be an absolute nightmare.

Ended up extending the cable slightly using a junction box and putting spotlights on either side of the dreaded beam. Its a bit bright (football pitch floodlights spring to mind!! LOL) but it's 8 x 50 watt GU10's in at the moment - contemplating changing them to 35 watt GU10s or LEDs.

It's made a huge difference to our dark kitchen though.

Oh dear.

I've just come back from fault finding a circuit with six of the bloomin' things.

The sooner they go out of fashion or banned (400W in this case) the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back