Extending satellite Cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're thinking of having a 'move around' in the lounge and when the Sky Digital was install they left about 600mm max of cable on the inside of the wall which means we're fairly limited on where the Sky box can go. Can we extend this cable and if so, what kind of cable do we need - is it co-ax? And do we need special connectors?

I assume i'll be able to remove the fixing off the end of the cable and put it back on the extended cable?

Is this a DIY job or must we get the Sky installer back to extend the cable for us?

Sponsored Links
It IS a DIY job, it is coax.
You do not remove the connector off the end of the cable.

At most electrical outlets (B&Q etc) you can get an extension kit with cables that already have F connectors on them and a female/female connector to join both together.

All you need is satellite double screened coax 2 f connectors fitted either end and a coupler have a look at the link below and it will explain what i have said.
One word of warning always uplug the digibox before disconnecting the cable just incase you accidently short it out.
You won't get electrocuted but it might damage the box if you short the cable.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/cableandleads.html

andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys - the link is especially useful. We're getting a new tv so its useful to know the difference spending a few extra quid on decent cable will make!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back