Extension Advice - Low Pitch Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're looking to do apply for planning permission for an extension. I've doing the planning permission plans myself, but will get someone who know what they are really doing to make the plans for the builder and building regs etc.

We're sure what we want with everything except the roof to the rear extension. The space is roughly 4m x 7.5m and the upstairs windows mean that the maximum rise would be roughly 0.85m, so very low pitch and we'd like some light from the ceiling.

We're got a few ideas:
* (low) Monopitch roof - 11 degrees (maybe even rubber roof with cosmetic tiles), angle some roof windows so it's at least 15 degrees (roof-1.jpg)
* Gable end roof - Should be about 18 degrees (roof-2.jpg)
* Half flat roof, half roof glazing. I'd love this, just not sure how it would join the sections, not sure how actually expensive this will end up being (roof-3.jpg)

We're trying not to consider flat (or parapet) roof with or with a roof lantern if we can help it.

We're in North Hertfordshire, and I don't imagine any additional complications from the planning authority.

I've added some sketchup examples, it would be great to be pointed in the right direction by a kind knowledgable soul!

Thanks,
Dan Garfield

roof-1.png

roof-2.png

roof-3.png

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Mono pitch either with a single ply and stuck on faux standing seams or a green roof.
For the last option I would slightly reduce the pitch and add a small canopy over the bifold door depending on orientation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back