external security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted 3 external lights each with a PIR, 2 of them with adjustable time and sensitivity. the other is a straight forward non adjustable PIR.

The feed is conected to the first adjustable light which is conected to the second adjustable and on the end of the run is the non adjustable light. Each is 150W.

The idea is that each should switch on all 3 lights.

However onlt the first PIR turns on all 3, the other two do not function as expected.

Any suggestions as to what I have done incorrectly please.

The first light has a dedicated connection for a second light as does the second light and I have used these.

Sponsored Links
The connection for a second light isn't designed to be connected to another fitting with a PIR. What's happening is that the first light in the chain will turn on the other two fittings as expected, but when the first light isn't on there will be no power supplied to the second and third lights.

You can probably achieve what you want by providing a permanent live feed to all the lights and then connecting all three auxilliary/second light terminals together.

What is the rated switching capacity of the light fittings?

How did you wire the lights? (cable types and connections)

Cheers electronics uk.
RF, I have a feed from an internal switch to an external junction box (correct IP rating) this is then connected to the first light (adj PIR) the dedicated cennection is then feeding a second (adj PIR) the dedicated feed from this is then connected to the third (non adj PIR)

Have used 1.5mm T&E run in conduit (PVC)

All connected in series, is this the balls up?

Sponsored Links
The first light (pir) works then feeds the second & third light because as you say you have the supply feeding the first light.
But it wont work any other way because you do not have a supply at lights two & three untill the first light is activated to supply them with a slave feed.

Hope that makes some sense.

Edited to say: That'll teach me to leave the laptop to sort me tea out, then return to post with out looking to see if others have answered.

oharaf said:
All connected in series, is this the balls up?

Series isn't exactly the term I'd use, but yes, this sounds like the problem. I'm guessing that the terminal for feeding a second/auxilliary light from your first fitting is wired into the L in of your second fitting, and the auxilliary terminal on your second fitting is feeding into L in on the third.

What you really need is to connect all like terminals together, i.e. all lives together, all neutrals together, all earths together and all second/auxilliary terminals together.

The auxilliary/second light terminal is basically the switched live output from the PIR, it also feeds the halogen lamp inside the fitting. By linking them all together you're allowing any PIR to feed all the lamps.

Right, you need to link the lights with 3core and earth

I'll do a quick diagram for you in a bit

look forward to the diagram RF, cheers everyone. Bit new to this, completed yr2 of C&G in June but lacking practical experience you see. Need to quit teaching and get a proper job

its simple.

loop in and out each fitting with a 3 core and earth, but only connect the neutral and switched live to each light. the first and last one has all 4 connected, i.e live neutral swithched live and earth

breezer said:
its simple.

loop in and out each fitting with a 3 core and earth, but only connect the neutral and switched live to each light. the first and last one has all 4 connected, i.e live neutral swithched live and earth

This won't achieve what the OP wants, as he would like the PIRs on all fittings to be able to turn on all three lights. As such, he needs 3 core and earth from all fittings back to the JB with all like cores connected together so that all fittings have a permanent live feed to supply the PIR.

damn, I missed that bit :oops:

ok then, connect all wires to all fittings :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back