Extractor conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
help very much welcomed!
We are currently having a lot of work done in our house which includes a large extension which incorporates an open plan kitchen, dining, living area. I wanted a down draught extractor but I don’t gave an ‘against external wall’ unit that it can pipe through so that idea went out of the window. The roof light falls over the island which is where the gas hobb will be which makes an over head extractor difficult.
Under regs an I allowed to recirculate with a down draught? I also read that you can’t have an extractor in a room with an open fore or stove and there will be a stove in the living area (albeit 5-6m away)
Help!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have a kitchen open-plan with other areas, then you need a powerful extractor close to the hob.

A recirculator can be an attractive kitchen ornament, but serves no useful purpose.

As JD says.

If you are doing this much work then you will be required to include an extractor, and if your designer had done his job, he would have designed the extraction to coordinate with the kitchen in a suitable and optimum place above and near the hob.

Under regs an I allowed to recirculate with a down draught?
Yes that's fine and that's basically what we have, but in that case you have to also have a through wall extractor elsewhere in the room variable of iirc 30l/s.

Sponsored Links
A recirculator can be an attractive kitchen ornament, but serves no useful purpose
Depends if you have decent grease filters in it, i agree for domestic hoods, but ours has 2 inch thick stainless grease filter and i can assure you that in the time it took for the filter to be thick with grease, the dust elsewhere in the kitchen was still loose and no traces of grease anywhere else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back