Extractor fan in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was wondering if anyone can give me advice please. we had a electric shower installed and they fitted a extractor fan. The thing is they wired it to the light pull in the bathroom. so now it is on all the time, even if we are only going in the bathroom to the loo. Is this the right way to wire a fan up.

Sponsored Links
Does it have over run- as in when the lights are turned off the fan continues for a few minutes ?

Having the fan on with the lights is pretty common and in a non ventilated bathroom (no windows) essential to keep moisture issues away.

In a bathroom with windows it is a choice, although if you didn't instruct the fitter it's not his fault he did it to a standard rather than asking you how you'd like it.

If your lucky when you remove the fan cover the fan may have a micro pull switch in situ and you can simply add a cord and have separate on / off of the fan function. If no micro switch exists then you should be able to get one from the fan maker and retro fit.

I actually prefer a fan that works indepently of the lights, so that in summer or daylight hours you have a choice of running the fan without the lights on. It depends on how the fan and lights wiring combine as to what you will be able to achieve.

Do you have a fan isolation switch to turn off the fan and retain the light function ? It's normal to find this above the door outside the bathroom.

hi we have a window in the bathroom. the council put the shower in for us. so we never had any say in the matter he never asked how we wanted the fan to run. We dont have a micro switch, though we do a switch outside the bathroom on the ceiling. i never knew what this was for.

Some fans are designed to run for about 15 minutes after the light has been turned off, this is to prevent condensation. The switch outside the room is likely to be the isolator, flick it and see.

Sponsored Links
the fan runs all the time.. while we have the light on. when we turn the light off the fan goes off. the reason why i am writing this is our electric bills gone up alot and i wondered if it is cos of this fan being on. Sometimes my daughter is in the bath for over a hour at night and we have this fan on.

The fan will only use a very small amount of electric so it's wont be that giving you higher electric bills.

are you saying this runs away with the electric????
A 3 bar electric fire uses 3kw of electric. THIS uses a lot of electric. 3 units per hour. About 35p. Depending on your tarrif.

A typical electric shower uses 9kw of electric. This is 9 units per hour. :eek: Over £1.

However, you must undertsand that the electric shower is only used for 5-10 minutes at a time, so although it will contribute to the electric bills, one shower per day isnt going to add hugely. If you have someone who spends so long in the shower, its more like a sauna, you might want to install a pneumatic switch set at 5 minutes wired to a relay/contactor controlling the shower :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back