Extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've got to replace a damaged switch in the hall for the extractor fan in the bathroom on the other side of the wall. The one that's on there at the moment has 2 lives and 2 neutral cables coming into it and 1 of each going out again, plus a couple of earths.

Picked up http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j.../specificationsProductType=mk_connection_unit in B&Q earlier but not sure if this is the right one with it being 13A and looking slightly different. Is there another MK one at B&Q that I should be using? Thanks

Sponsored Links
So the isolator for the bathroom fan is a S/FCU (switched fused connection unit) then?
What you need to do is remove the fuse in your existing/broken isolator, that is providing it is S/FCU?
Then remove the 13A fuse from the MK S/FCU that is located at B&Q and put the fuse from the existing one in to the new one.
As the rating of the fuses should be different.
Then note down the wiring in the existing S/FCU and do the same in new one.
If you think there is an issue and they may not be of the same type, take a picture and upload and post so we can have look to confirm!

Hi thanks for the quick reply! There is no fuse in the existing switch :unsure:

as edit
If you think there is an issue and they may not be of the same type, take a picture and upload and post so we can have look to confirm!
A picture of the inside terminals would also be nice.
Could be a standard switch or a an isolating switch (20 Amp DP Switch)
If you can't take a picture/upload one.
Please explain the terminals inside the switch/isolator.

Sponsored Links
OK I wonder if MK do one that would do the same thing?

OK I don't know what the rating of the circuit is but it's on the upstairs light circuit if that's of any help. Likewise with the fan, no idea what the fan output requires!

They are usually quite a low output and normally connected to the lighting circuit. There should be no problem with using either the 20A switch or the Switched FCU just make sure the fuse in the FCU is either the same as the lighting circuit or a little lower. 5A or 3A fuses should be fine.

Do the regs state that the extractor fan switch has to be labelled as such, rather than one of those that just look like a light switch? Thought I read that in a previous post, could be wrong though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back