Fair boiler installation cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
My existing (20+ yrs old!) vaillant boiler gave out and needed replacing last week. I am a new landlord and have tenants in the flat so needed to get it replaced asap, and I didn't have time to get multiple quotes. The leasing agents sent their plumber round and the boiler was replaced within a couple of days - so tenants are happy. I just wanted to check that the work is priced fairly?

This is the work done (quote from the invoice):

"To remove existing boiler supply & install thermostatic radiator valves where necessary one room thermostat and one vaillant 24KW (ecoTec 24) condensing boiler, inline lime beater and magner clean use of all necessary pipe work and fittings to carry out complete installation. Also chemically powerflush heating system then dose system with correct amount of corrosion inhibitor." Only thing this doesn't say is that they had to brick up the old flue hole in the outside wall, as it was bigger than new flue. Not a big job, by their own admission. Also, it's a small flat (1.5 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1 lounge, small kitchen - 6 rads - 1st floor, London)

The price - £2,200 + VAT. I didn't know either way and just needed to okay the work urgently, but then I did a quick check and saw that the boiler is around £750-£850 (inc VAT) (Lower price for boiler only, higher for flue kit + timer package). If I assume another £200 for parts, then it leaves nearly £1,200 in labour. Is that fair?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback guys.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if you would call it fair, but it is about the going rate in London. You can certainly get it done for less, especially away from the smoke, but you could also pay more. To some extent it depends what you got for your money. If they actually did a thorough clean, chemically and properly power flushed, then you are talking about a couple of man-days work. Add in costs you might not have thought about, the flue, the new valves, new controls, the magnaclean (sic) and anti-scale gadget, cleaner and inhibitor chemicals, bricks, cement, bits of pipe, condensate plumbing, etc, then you'll see where the price comes from.

Looks more than fair to me for what "you" have said, but then I havent seen the job so cant really say, neither can anyone else unless they were there.

People should get quotes "first" rather than asking after, some clever **** will ALWAYS come along after claiming they cold have done it cheaper.

Seems more than fair to me for what you have said, i would charge that in manchester, never mind london

Sponsored Links
Why are you asking if its fair? you've already paid!! what are you going to do if everyone says you've been overcharged, go back to the installer? You should of gotten more quotes if you were that concerned mate ;)

The price - £2,200 + VAT. I didn't know either way and just needed to okay the work urgently, but then I did a quick check and saw that the boiler is around £750-£850 (inc VAT) (Lower price for boiler only, higher for flue kit + timer package). If I assume another £200 for parts, then it leaves nearly £1,200 in labour. Is that fair?

You could ask if the boiler could be made and sold for much less. After all it is mass produced by some £5/hr Remf on an assembly line. Yet you question the labour like it's worthless though it's the only bespoke part of the operation.

Been to a dentist recently , had to go private ??, look in your gob & they charge you £100 !!! than there's those legal rip off merchant's , solicitor's ect ect . see what they charge to write a letter !!!

Why is it that pencil pusher's & paper shuffler's , never seem to get ?? on there charge's ??????

You could ask if the boiler could be made and sold for much less. After all it is mass produced by some £5/hr Remf on an assembly line.
Yet you question the labour like it's worthless though it's the only bespoke part of the operation.

Very well put.

Why are you asking if its fair? you've already paid!! what are you going to do if everyone says you've been overcharged, go back to the installer? You should of gotten more quotes if you were that concerned mate ;)

Thanks everyone for your responses, particularly to those people who are genuinely keen to help. (To those who threw their penny's worth in, either trying to appear clever, or who feel unloved and unappreciated (Tibbot, Whitespirit66?) - thanks to you too for making me have a giggle!)

I just wanted a gut reaction from the forum, and no-one here has looked at the figure and screamed *foul*, so it looks like it's a pretty fair/going rate. Thanks again.

Just for the record:
1. I have not paid yet - I have an opportunity to negotiate the invoice, hence the question.
2. I normally would get quotes, like anyone with half a brain, but this was an emergency situation - I had tenants withour hot water and I was in Aus at the time of incident, so no time for quotes etc (as I said in my original post). It happens. And the plumber was sent by the agency managing the lease, he was on site and ready to replace the boiler - all i had to do was say 'yes' (or 'no', which would not have been good for my customer - the tenants). So this time I was on the back foot, and just trying to make the best of the situation.
3. I know that labour charges apply, and in general, they are worth it. But I also know that they vary greatly, sometimes purely depending on whether it's a full moon or not(!)... so was just checking with people in the field - you! (I have yet to build a relationship with the guy who did the job, and I hope that once we trust each other, I'll have no need to question the figures. It's early days though, and I'm just doing my homework.)

Thanks again for your help guys ;)

Just for the record:
1. I have not paid yet - I have an opportunity to negotiate the invoice,
Thanks again for your help guys ;)

This will ensure that you are 'unloved and unappreciated' by your installer.

By claiming that you acted under duress, and agreed to his terms because your tenant was desperate for a shower, does not mean that you can haggle over an invoice. Its an invoice, not an estimate.

By claiming that you acted under duress, and agreed to his terms because your tenant was desperate for a shower, does not mean that you can haggle over an invoice.
Its an invoice, not an estimate.

*Yawn* I think you're missing the point.

I asked whether the figure was about right, not for a lecture on ethics. However, since you're so concerned, let me reassure you that because there are 2 adults involved in this scenario, we'll reach a mutually agreeable result.

In other words you'll try and screw him on the price? To the other RGI's on here:

Have you ever put a boiler in for a customer, then settled on a price after? Wierd.....

In other words you'll try and screw him on the price? To the other RGI's on here:

Have you ever put a boiler in for a customer, then settled on a price after? Wierd.....

Well I always agree a price on any work over £100 before commencing, hence avoiding such situations. I think its quite brave to go and fit a boiler without giving some idea to the cust what it will cost them, you leave yourself wide open tbh.

1. I have not paid yet - I have an opportunity to negotiate the invoice, hence the question.
2. I normally would get quotes, like anyone with half a brain, but this was an emergency situation - I had tenants withour hot water

You are clearly a customer from hell who is totally without any ethics to even THINK of renegotiating a price you already agreed when you engaged the installer.

We would have charged about £1780 inclusive. BUT we cannot fit boilers as an emergency job and have to do it as we can fit in in between repairs. I suppose we could do a job quickly but would have to charge about £300 extra.

But to avoid people like you we always give our prices in writing before we start. We also sometimes decline certain customers if we have any suspicions that they think like you obviously do.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back