Fairly easy help with spur please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought 2x halogen spotlights that I want to wall mount in the bedroom, they are 50w bulbs and the lights have an earth on them.
I want to know if it is possible to run these lights by running a spur from the light switch which is the nearest source of electricity. The switch is currently only running the ceiling rose, but has no earth.
Advice on wether or not and 'how to' would be great please.
Ta

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find that your switch has a live (red) and a switched live (red or black,tagged red). There isn't a neutral let alone the earth.
You should however be able to come off the existing ceiling rose for your N, L & E. Wiring depends however on whether you want the new lights to be controlled by your existing light switch.

is there a way to power them from the cables in the switch?, can that be spurred off or does it have to come from the rose>

as has been said, the switch has live and switched live no neutral. so the answer is still, no.

Sponsored Links
Also, have you not spotted this problem:

Ian1963 said:
I have just bought 2x halogen spotlights that I want to wall mount in the bedroom, they are 50w bulbs and the lights have an earth on them.
I want to know if it is possible to run these lights by running a spur from the light switch which is the nearest source of electricity. The switch is currently only running the ceiling rose, but has no earth.
:?: :?: :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back