FCU top cable entry? soft switch action?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If the unit is for a fan surely using an unswitched spur (or even a switched one) PLUS a pull cord would be the best option.

Old hands would have less hassle with a cord (if they can see it :D ) than a switch ?

If you want top entry get a back box that allows a MT style collar and run the cable in trunking. Or if the cable is surface fixed chase the wall behind the back box and enter via the centre knockout.

Fans tend to be placed in damp environments so due care for cable connection is required, something Part P tries to address by making work in kitchens and bathrooms (part of a group of special locations) notifiable.

:rolleyes:

It is for a sitting room (so I don't want a pull cord!)

It all exists at present however it is not presently fused correctly so want to improve.

Has a Metal back box fitted in skirting board.

Sponsored Links
I'm not surprised there is upset on these forums.

Ok I guess I am not going to get any answers after this, but what the hell.
All I need answering is:

1) DO FCU's with a top cable entry and clamp exist ? (for a flexi to go to the appliance)

2) In your opinion as people who install these every day what brands have soft action switches? or which brands to avoid that need alot of force to switch.

Thank you

1) DO FCU's with a top cable entry and clamp exist ? (for a flexi to go to the appliance)

No.

2) In your opinion as people who install these every day what brands have soft action switches? or which brands to avoid that need alot of force to switch

They are more or less all the same.

Thank you RF for some straight answers.

I am surprised at the answer to Q2.

I thought some are very difficult to press (and hurt your finger!) and some had a nice action (like MK).

I guess I have answered my own question there. Try and play safe with an MK.

Ok a third question if I may.

3) Do they do them with a hole in the front anymore (for cable?) I guess not.

You can get front flex outlets.

Mk have a good soft action and a reasonable size switch.
I find cheaper ones like the "Get" in your pic the switches are smaller and are quite stiff.

Thank you for your help guys.

And thank you for telling me the GET ones would not suit my needs.

Yeah the K1030 would have a nice switch action and fit in with other accessories. I was previously a little put off with the ugly screw on the fuse carrier.

That has given me something to think about.

The only way to achieve a top entry would be to mount a bottom entry unit upside down... ;)

The only way to achieve a top entry would be to mount a bottom entry unit upside down... ;)

Yes although I don't want any confussion as to what is On or Off.
The other option is to file a neat hole at the top and have no cable grip (which wouldn't be a massive loss in this case)

The Get may be ok, though, you would need to try one out.
Although with the postage it is not that cheap, although the engraving is worth something.

I feel the fuse carrier removal mechanism lets the MK down, I have jammed a few and even sheared off the screwhead once or maybe i do it wrong.
Even the gas bloke broke mine when isolating the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back