FCU top cable entry? soft switch action?

The other option is to file a neat hole at the top and have no cable grip (which wouldn't be a massive loss in this case)

Cable tie round the flex, inside the hole. ;)

Depending on make, If the flex is small, and the clamp is on the back, you can still clamp it and loop it round the box and out the top.

Mk proberly too thin at the top to file a hole.

Sponsored Links
Price - Including postage still cheaper than screwfix (without engraving, not that I need it)

A cable tie is a good solution.
Considered still using the clamp however was concerned it may foul the main screws and be more dangerous / silly like this.
Cable will be fairly small to suit 5A fuse.

I want a hole at the top because the appliance is above the FCU. I could have a loop going down and back up (and may still do) but would probably look unsightly and unnecessary.

Sponsored Links
Could you chase a bit of pipe in from the box up to behind the appliance .

that would be a bit over the top and alot of unnecessary work.

A cable coming out the top would be the best of all worlds

You could always make your own top entry. Use an 8inch round file to make the roove in the edge of the molding. Or if you want a hole use an 8mm drill.

If you don't fancy the idea of making a hole in the top of the switch; why not fit a separate 20 amp flex outlet plate next to the fused spur.

I think the MK flex outlet plate has the hole at the bottom, so can be rotated to suit.

that doesn't appeal!

if you hadn't guessed this is going in sitting room andis all about making it look neat.

filling and hole with cable tie is the answer i think.

The only question that remains is what brand other than MK has soft switches!

:rolleyes:

It is for a sitting room (so I don't want a pull cord!)

It all exists at present however it is not presently fused correctly so want to improve.

Has a Metal back box fitted in skirting board.

How rude, I tried to help based on you initial post- which you then added detail to, that wasn't known at the time I replied.

Funny that you keep harping on about wanting it to look nice, yet seem happy to live with a carp job (as in a back box in the skirting which is hardly the best place for a fitting).

Next time you post please attempt to be more clear, by doing so I or others can then offer you a more precise answer.

Have you ever understood the word humility, because your posts seem to lack any comprehension that people have being trying to HELP you.

I don't like your attitude and for the 1st time ever have decided to block any future posts you make. Well done for getting my back up to the extent you have- are you in politics :rolleyes:

The skirting board is tall. Tha backbox is fitted flush with the skirting board. It exists at present and looks fine. (ok it doesn't meet the height for new builds). I'm not sure why you think this is untidy.

Many others were able to understand and answer the questions in a simple and helpful way and thank you to those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back