Fence knots and PVA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new closeboarded fence put up about 2 months ago. The fencers said no treatment was needed as it was pre-treated.

Last week our neighbour had a new fence put up (same style) and today the fencer came back and painted the knots with PVA. He said it stops them falling out if the knots dry out faster than the fence.

Should I treat our fence the same way? I notice some of the knots are already cracked. Or is this normal? If I do buy some PVA, should I dilute it with water prior to use?

Grateful for advice!

Sponsored Links
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

No, PVA will be completely useless.

It is water-soluble so it will wash off in the rain.

It would not work indoors either.

The knots will fall out anyway.

Thanks for that. At least it gave you a laugh!

What about waterproof PVA which you can get in Wickes?

Sponsored Links
For what it's worth, the fencers came back today and replaced 3 panels. They said that PVA soaks into the wood so is not washed off in a shower. So I might try it anyway as there's nowt to lose.

Fair enough.

If you remember, come back after a few months and say what you think. I'll be interested.

ta

Waterproof wood glue (esp, the powdered ones) would sound like a better bet to me, but probably more for if they fall out.

Fubar.

I say, I say, I say, why are there holes in your fence?

They're knot holes

well, if they're not holes, what are they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back