Ferrules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody. sorry so long since I posted but I've been busy trying to secure employment :cry: The house wiring has had to go on the back-burner until I can get some more pennies saved. Anyway, my question.

The flexible split-load cables inside the MK CU I bought have a ferrule pre-terminated on the ends. It looks like what I believe to be a bootlace? ferrule but the end is flattened to enable it to go into the termination points within the CU and the Main sw/rcd.

Can these be bought as a separate item, or are they a proprietary piece of kit that MK have used to terminate the cables ? It's only the ferrules I want, not the Split Load Cable.

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
If he's talking about the ones I think he is, those are not they.

p2490566_x.jpg

worked on a MK mini 4 way rcd unit last week, the Neutral from the rcd to the Neutral bar was one like in the photo that BAS's just put up.......i.e not a standard bootlace ferrule as such.......... presume the one mentioned in the post will be the same type.

although a standard bootlace ferrule might do for the job....

Sponsored Links
If he's talking about the ones I think he is, those are not they.

They're the boys BAS. After looking at the ends, my next question was going to be "does the crimping tool cut the ends and crimp them over like the MK ones" but seeing as they don't appear to be the ones I thought they were, that isn't likely then :confused:

Does anyone know whether these particular MK-type ferrules are available to buy ? If it helps, I need them in 16mm² square size.

Thanks.

contact MK maybe, would think you should be able to get hold of them.....

I guess that will be true. It's just that I can see the crimping tool being a specific type affair & that will be the item in the chain that will be unavailable :(

Thanks for the replies anyway lads, I was just hoping that maybe some of you guys on the more "custom building" side of things may well know of any possibilities.

Thanks

a bootlace ferrule is a bootlace ferrule..
I can't see as the MK ones would be any different to regular bootlace ferrules..
just use the uninsulated ones..
and no, generally the crimper doesn't tri the ends, that't what cutters are for.. strip to correct length in the first place..

bootlaces need a different crimper, and a 16mm one would be fairly big and expensive

Do you need it for work, or just once?

OOI, is there a reason why you can't just poke 16mm stranded into the terminal?

What about these?

How many do you need? :LOL:

regards

Excellent find :D they look like they are the ones that I was after. Nice One.

Do you need it for work, or just once?

OOI, is there a reason why you can't just poke 16mm stranded into the terminal?

I would probably only need it for maybe about a dozen terminals. I basically need two of the same cable kit that you get inside the MK Split-Load CU's ( i.e. one brown and two blue ) but one Red and two Black.

The wire I want to use ( if I ever get around to actually doing what I propose of course ! ) is the Tri-Rated stuff you find inside CU's, so I wouldn't have thought that it would have gone straight inside the screw terminal very well, that's why I wanted to try to get hold of the ferrules.

I just thought that the best way to get hold of them would be to make my own up, as long as the crimpers weren't going to be too expensive, which as I am now finding out, isn't exactly the case. :eek: Also, trying to get small lengths of the tri-rated cable isn't very easy either, I suppose it's the ridiculous price of copper at the moment which is making tradesman on sites a little less forthcoming with "leftovers" - understandable of course. :(

Thanks for the replies lads anyway - it's appreciated.

I basically need two of the same cable kit that you get inside the MK Split-Load CU's ( i.e. one brown and two blue ) but one Red and two Black.
a bit of red and a bit of black heat-shrink sheath on the MK part. About a pound's worth maybe?

Bootlace ferrules can be various shapes.

MK chose that shape probably to ensure a wide contact area to minimise heating and perhaps better mechanical retention.
More traditional "squeezed-square" bootlace ferrule crimps provide a slightly smaller contact area, but still acceptable none the less.

Bootlace ferrules MUST be done on a dedicated tool.
A red/blue/yellow crimp tool will not crimp bootlace ferrules.

Bootlace ferrules are handy for flex (fine strands), particularly the smaller sizes.

Bootlace ferrules are very important for switchgear that has a minimum conductor size, typically flex must be ferruled (sleeved) for all sizes, stranded may need to be ferruled below a certain size, solid may also need to be ferruled below a certain (larger) size. Most common with Rotary Isolators (HVAC, sheds, heaters, isolators etc).

BTW MK sell various kits (split load kit, multi incomer kit, bi-level cable kit) with short pre-terminated cables in, maybe some of those would be of interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back