Filling valve leaking after bleeding radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help. I have bled my radiators then had to re pressurise the boiler as it was under 1 bar. After it got up to pressure I turned off all four valves but the 2 black ones (bottom ones as hard to see colour in photo) are leaking. Why does it leak when it didn't leak before and all i did was turn them on and off and what do i need to buy to fix it?

I've attached a photo to see if anyone can help.

Thanks
IMG_20231104_220604.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are they leaking from the spindles ( under the levers)?
If so they need replacing as the rubber seal inside has failed.
Looks like you have a leak near the pressure gauge too !

Are they leaking from the spindles ( under the levers)?
If so they need replacing as the rubber seal inside has failed.
Looks like you have a leak near the pressure gauge too !
The one on the right is leaking from under the lever as well as the end. The one on the left is just leaking from the end.

Don't know about the pressure gauge, it might have leaked in the past but isn't leaking now and hasn't leaked for the last few years.

Leaking at the end ,where the blanking cap is ? If so there should be sealing washers in the blanking caps,are they in place ?
The valve that's leaking from under the handle ,may ,and I stress may, seal if you operate the handle a few times open/ closed/open/ close. But make sure the blanking cap is ok first.

Sponsored Links
Leaking at the end ,where the blanking cap is ? If so there should be sealing washers in the blanking caps,are they in place ?
The valve that's leaking from under the handle ,may ,and I stress may, seal if you operate the handle a few times open/ closed/open/ close. But make sure the blanking cap is ok first.
These are the two caps. This is what they were like when I took them out the first time. Should they both have washers in?

In theory, aren't the caps just for show as the valve should do all the work in stopping the water?

IMG_20231104_224419.jpg

One has no seal ,and the other brass one looks like the wrong seal ,( too small a diameter)
Do you have any PTFE tape ?
As these valves are prone to not fully close in time ,the blanking caps serve the purpose of sealing what would be an open ended pipe.

One has no seal ,and the other brass one looks like the wrong seal ,( too small a diameter)
Do you have any PTFE tape ?
As these valves are prone to not fully close in time ,the blanking caps serve the purpose of sealing what would be an open ended pipe.
I didn't have any PTFE tape but I found some washers that almost fit. Bit of a tight squeeze but they seem to do the job and no leaking from the caps! :)
IMG_20231104_225923.jpg

So now just the nut join thing (what do you call it lol) under the lever that leaking a bit.

IMG_20231104_230317.jpg

It actually seems before the lever. Do you think it is the seal in the nut that is failing rather than the lever? But again it wasn't leaking before...

Is it the nut that connects the pipe to the valve ?
That valve looks to be on a slant ,and you may have turned it slightly on the pipe ,and loosened the joint when working on topping up.
You could try to tighten the nut a tad. But you need to hold the valve body with a set of grips ,so it can't move , whilst tightening the nut with a spanner.

Is it the nut that connects the pipe to the valve ?
That valve looks to be on a slant ,and you may have turned it slightly on the pipe ,and loosened the joint when working on topping up.
You could try to tighten the nut a tad. But you need to hold the valve body with a set of grips ,so it can't move , whilst tightening the nut with a spanner.
Not sure what you mean by 'is it the nut that connects the pipe to the valve' but here is a photo of the side which hopefully answers your question.
IMG_20231104_233730_edit_364783327642248.jpg

The valve is on a slant but seems to be solid and doesn't move up or down.

Yes ,that nut is part of the compression fitting,keeps the valve on the copper pipe. As said ,try to tighten it up.

Yes ,that nut is part of the compression fitting,keeps the valve on the copper pipe. As said ,try to tighten it up.
I didn't have a grip but followed your advice on opening and closing the valve a few times and it appears to almost stop the leak to a weep now. I'll see how it goes overnight. Thanks for all your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back