Finding an Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apols if this is in the wrong place but i am a bit confused and wanted some sound advice.

I am trying to get a fairly small job done but seem to be hitting a brick wall.

I am replacing a bath with a jacuzzi bath and want to get it installed right.

I don't know any good electricians and wanted to find a reliable source of getting a person in to do the job right. Apart from picking them out of the book or a simple google, is their a recognised place that a lot of people use that has (fairly) reliable contractors on it?

I expect that the bath needs to be in place and plumbed before the electrician comes in to do their bit.

I am in the Rugby area - any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Friends, neighbours and work colleagues recommendations.

I know that is best but our estate is fairly new and the people/friends we know have not had the need to use electricians.

We both work away from where we live so it would be a long trek for anyone doing that work (which i doubt they would really be inclined to do for a small job)

what is the difference between NAPIT and ELECSA and NIC/EIC - for domestic installation are they all ok?

If you don't know of any decent electricians you can always try the trade websites
My Hammer
Rated People
Mybuilder
just google
Good tradesmen
and the search will show them.
Some of these will have feedback on the tradesmen/women.

what is the difference between NAPIT and ELECSA and NIC/EIC - for domestic installation are they all ok?
All certified Competent Persons schemes, they more or less do the same thing.
Whether they are good or not depends on who you get, like all things in life some will be good, some will not, but at the end of the day, they are registered to do the work and have a responsabillty to do it in compliances and safely.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
We both work away from where we live so it would be a long trek for anyone doing that work (which i doubt they would really be inclined to do for a small job)
/

I think you should still ask your colleagues and friends, I think you'd be better off paying a recommended electrician an extra hour to drive to you, rather than dig someone out from the internet.

It is likely that all you will need is a 'fused spur' installed under the bath. It is likely you will want the cable for this installed before the bash is fitted . . . You may wish to consider getting a REPUTABLE 'all trades' type outfit that will manage the whole project instead of trying to arrange all the different trades and works yourself. A professional bathroom installer should be able to arrange an electrician but make sure you make it clear that you want a proper electrician and certification for the electrics at the time of the survey. If they are not keen or unwilling to provide this, show them the door.

As well as the others' listed there is also Freeindex.co.uk which does not fleece the tradespeople they give leads to (and as such may attract trades' who are not willing to pay a website for leads).

EDIT
Just re-read, if you're only replacing the bath not doing the whole room you maybe don't need 'all trades' but you will probably still need a plumber, tiler and electrician at least so my advice re getting a single outfit to organise the whole thing still stands.

The above advice covers it really, I'd just add that I think it's generally best to hire the guy who books you in for a couple of weeks or more down the line rather than the guy who can start tomorrow. Good people get cancellations of course, but I think in general they tend to be booked in advance.

Don't forget the rcd..!

Which if there isn't a CU with RCD on it, then a rcd f/spur will do the job. If possible the best location for the fused spur / fused spur with rcd is outside the bathroom either sunk in the wall or in the adjacent airing cupboard.

You can't have a inaccessable fused spur due to the potential need to change the fuse.

If there is a nearbye socket, the job really isn't difficult and won't take anytime at all. I'd have guessed that £100 plus parts would be the sort of cost and the work can be done before the new bath is fitted with the plumber connecting the pump cable having had sight of the sparks test record 1st.

thanks for the help chaps

we are doing the whole bathroom (v small) and i will be doing a lot of the work myself (sink, toilet, tiling and flooring) . Just will be getting an electrician/plumber in for the bath installation.

found a couple on competentpeople that are "combined". Will have to see what they say

edit - Chri5 - yes the position backs right onto a socket on the other side of the plasterboard - so i hope it is straightforward enought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back