Finishing skirting corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have this rather ugly corner on skirting in a room I’m redecorating. I’d normally replace the whole lot but previous owners plastered over the edge of it and I don’t really have the time or inclination to get into repairing the plaster if I ripped it out. Any suggestions for prettying it up? I guess I could use some beading on the vertical but how would I cover the top? Inexperienced woodworker but will have a go…

Thanks !
Mick
IMG_4248.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'd use dryflex resin but not worth the cost for you so use 2 pack wood filler in joint. Cut it out bigger to allow for the filler.
Really need heat gun and strip that skirting paint. Sand. Prime. Fine surface filler. Prime. Paint

Sand down and caulk, cannot see any plaster on skirting looks just like a sloppy paint job.But trying to make that look good is more work than replacing.

buy some suitable profiled beading and fix it to the top of the skirt. Nice mitred corner and a bit of filler and would look fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Yes there's not much plaster on this part, but on other parts of the wall it is more evident (the width at the top of this part is about 22mm, but on other parts it's only 16-17mm due to plaster. I've replaced the skirting in other rooms, where it wasn't so bad to start with and easier to remove. I think in this room the bay window was added later so this isn't as embedded in the plaster as other parts. It would definitely be the ideal option to replace but need to get the room ready for visitors and it would add a lot of time and £££.... And yes still got to strip it back , I've managed to get it to bare wood on the older parts with stripper but this needs the heat gun...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back